General discussion

Migration from Netware 4.11 To Wk2000

By thomas.smith@tetratechgrp ·
Has anyone performed the migration from Netware 4.11 To Wk2000? I sure could use some direction on where to start.

Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

20 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by diabetic In reply to Migration from Netware 4. ...

You are about to have an interesting life.

Start here:
www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/howtobuy/upgrading/default.asp
This page give you all the information you need to prepare for Windows 2000.

Then go to:
www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/business/netware.asp
This describes a CD from Mircosoft that helps Novell users migrate to Windows 2000. Granted it is Netware 5, but it does contain information on file and print services for Netware4.

Then, hit:
www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/techinfo/interop/default.asp
This has a lot of information on interoperability.

Saving the best for last:
www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/techinfo/planning/incremental/netmigrate.asp
This is a great page the lets you download a document that details all the steps you need to take to migrate.

Remember, all URLs are a single line with no spaces.

Hope this helps,
diabetic

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by csmith In reply to Migration from Netware 4. ...

Upgrading to the new version of Netware will not cause the blood pressure problems that Win2K will.
The links in the first Ans. are correct, but consider this decision carefully, versus staying with Novell.

Collapse -

by csmith In reply to Migration from Netware 4. ...

Since you are dealing with somebody who has more "management skills" than technical knowledge, the time has come to purchase the Win2K Resource Kit from MSPress.
I do this on every Operating System MS releases.
We buy the book, and I sit down and read it.
MS makes a lot of money on this, but it is necessary.
The thing that always bothers me the most is the "semiconcealed?" hype present in in everything from MS.
It may not have technical depth, or be the best solution, but it sells, look atyour boss, and the 36 billion that MS has in the bank.
Good Luck.
Regards, Chris

Collapse -

Collapse -

I would love to stay on Novell. I am true Red. You know who is making the decision to move ;-O

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Hershel Dunne In reply to Migration from Netware 4. ...

We are currently going to move to Win 2K on the desktop while maintaining Netware 5 and soon upgrading to Netware 6 on the server side. Perhaps you might like to consider that. There are always issues with any software upgrade.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by dcassat In reply to Migration from Netware 4. ...

I have done this upgrade and am sorry that no one has been able to give you better information. The secure copy program from Small Wonders (smallwonders.com, I think) software will help in this process. If you have a lot of users the process can be pretty involved but if you're simply needing to move files and setup a new print server there is no reason that this should be a major headache. For instance, in one system I upgraded I simply copied the files from the old server to the new one and recreated the user accounts and printer queues. The one issue I did find was with relation to old DOS programs and W2K file security. (You can write back if you have old DOS programs.) I have found that many problems are actually created by the migration utilities so make sure that you have enough users to justify that process. If you're new to W2k I highly recommend that you obtain a Windows 2000 server book by Mark Minasi. His practical experience can save you hours. You don't mention you are getting a new server either. Migration across the wire to a new server is really the only way to go. I DON'T recommend attempting an in place upgrade in any shape or form. So.... Setup your new server, download Secure copy, copy some accounts and data across and check it out. Test out your programs and security, etc. It's not the Mt. Fuji of OS upgrades and you may actually like it. Good Luck.

Back to IT Employment Forum
20 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next