General discussion

Migration of NT 4.0, exchange 5.5 to Windows 2003,exchange 2003

By it ·
I have an old Server Windows NT4.0, Exchange 5.5 with users of 200 who logon to the Server, and only about 50 use the Email.
I now have purchased a new Server which is Windows 2003.(Child Domain)and a new DNS setting
Questions??
1) Migrate all the users from NT to 2003( Note: that Domains are different)but the IP range is within the Same range.
2) Install Exchange 2003 on the new server and have a different email address, but would like to move all the old settings users mailboxes across then change the email address.
3) Note that the NT is quite old to upgrade and the Hardware can't cater for the change.
4) Eventually use the windows sever 2003 to run and remove the windows nt 4.0

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Migration of NT 4.0, exch ...

1) Use a tool like Quest Migration Suite to Migrate the users.

2) Exchange 2003 must be installed into the Active Directory forest and not at a domain level. You will need to have Enterprise Administrators rights to accomplish this. Note that Quest also makes an excellent migration tool to migrate the Exchange 5.5 mauilboxes to Exchange 2003.

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to Migration of NT 4.0, exch ...

If you find the 3rd party migration tools too expensive (don't know what your budget is), there are free, built-in migration tools from Microsoft that work pretty well for small single-domain situations like yours. I would recommend going to the Microsoft support web site (support.microsoft.com) and searching the knowledgebase for articles on NT to 2003 migration. I'm sure there will be a lot of helpful and very specific information there - read the articles carefully and follow the step-by-step to the letter, and you'll do fine.

One thought - you mentioned that the Windows 2003 machine will be in a new domain and called it a "child domain." This is NOT what you want to do to do a clean migration. I would recommend creating an entirely new domain - separate from your NT domain - and then creating a domain-to-domain trust between the two. As I recall, this is what Microsoft recommends, and having done it that way myself, I can say that it works pretty well and is a very clean migration. You end up with a new Win2K3 domain with all your users, mailboxes, etc., and all you have to do at the end is break the trust between the two domains.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -

by chandrasekhar.doddi In reply to Migration of NT 4.0, exch ...

1.I need Snap-short migration of NT 4.0 to win2003, pls send the datiles ASAP.

2.If at all possible of Negiates or stimilaters. pls send to my addree. i am bare the monney.

Collapse -

by chandrasekhar.doddi In reply to Migration of NT 4.0, exch ...

Dear Techrepublic,
This is chandra sekhar.d
1. i need Exchange migration from NT4.0 to win2003 server.
If at all any possible please send stimilation or negiates

this is my address
D.Chandrasekhar
C/o sudhakar
H.No: 3-1.311
Balkampet
Hyderabad
Pin: 5000 78
Andhrapradesh
India
My Mobile No: 9949577772

Back to Windows Forum