General discussion

migration to 2000

By isoro ·
i have an nt4 platform /pdc and bdc with exchange 5.5 and a proxy. users are aprox 200. migrating to 2000 sever with active directory seems to be my focus for transition..I would like to know if migrating all the permissions, users and settings is abest bet or to start from scratch with a full install instead and reconfigure all previous info.. i ideally want to have to identical severs for complete redundancy any comments?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

migration to 2000

by LesBoyce In reply to migration to 2000

I would suggest installing a new 2000 server. Demote PDC to BDC. Then making the new server a domain controller with dcpromo command. Microsoft has much more info to migrating to 2000 on their website.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/default.asp

Collapse -

migration to 2000

by isoro In reply to migration to 2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

migration to 2000

by rob In reply to migration to 2000

Take the BDC off line and promote it to a PDC and then install 2000 and do the DCPROMO, then all the users will be in active directory. Doing this way will minimize disruption to the network and you won't have to recreate all the info. Go to this Microsoft website it explains everything:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/default.asp?url=/windows2000/en/server/help/upgrading_a_domain.htm

Good luck!

Collapse -

migration to 2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

migration to 2000

by shmaltz In reply to migration to 2000

I have finnished such a project 6 weeks ago. The project included
A) Upgrading to Windows 2000 Active Directory.
B) Migrating our WINS servers to Windows 2000 DNS.
C) Upgrading our Windows NT DHCP server to Windows 2000 DHCP.
D) Migrating an Exchange Server 2000 from 5.5.
E) Migrating Windows NT Terminal Server 4.0 to Windows 2000 Terminal Server.
I started it in April 2001 and finnished in Feb. So it took me 10-11 months.
It doesn't have to take that long.
I didn't do anything from Augthru Nov, so it didn't really take 10 months.
Here is what I did:
I divided this in 2 major phases. 1.0) Front end 2.0)Back End.
Since I wanted to have a complete Active Directory System I had to upgrade the workstations also.
I further subdivided Phase 2 in 3 Phases: 2.1) Active Directory, DNS, and DHCP. 2.2)Exchange 2.3) Terminal Servers.
Then came in timing:
Phase 1.0 was the first one to start, phase 2.0 doesn't start until phase 1.0 is in production for at least 3 weeks.
Phase 2.1 spans till phase 2.2 2.3 are finished, Since there is always touch ups that you want to do last (like changing to native mode, add backup DNS servers ETC.).
Phase 2.2 was next, I only migrated. I didn't upgrade (by that I mean I had a new server for Exchange 2000, so I just had to create the ADC and then move the mailboxes and public folders).
Phase 2.3 was next again I migrated and not upgraded. Then I finnished up phase 2.1
Continued.....

Collapse -

migration to 2000

For phase 1.0 I made sure:
Pre testing:
1. Hardware issues (Is memory needed for this machine?), and inventory.
2. Software inventory.
Pre deployment Testing:
3. Does all the programs in 2 work? if not, is there a workaround/upgrade or we have to use a different program to do that? Does it also work when a regular user logs on (one that doesn't have administrative permissions)?
Deployment planning:
4. What deployment solution? (Power Qwest, Norton or MS)
Deploying testing:
5. Does the solution in item 4 really work?
6. After deplying are still all programs working? Does it behave as it should?
Deplying:
6. Planing on the timing of the deployment (you don't want to upgrade more then 3 people the first time, but you do want to do more at a time as it works out to work for the first 3)
7. Always have a bakup plan in case the computer doesn't want to start after applying an image, so the user/s has a computer to work on in the meanwhile.
Continued...

Collapse -

migration to 2000

For phase 2 I made sure:
Pre upgrade:
1, 2, and 3, as above.
Deployment:
Since I had time I didn't want to do automatic/mass deployment. I just upgarded each Server one at a time.
4. ROLLBACK SOLUTION (just make a good backup and make sure that it works).
Pre upgrade:
5. Since the upgrade involved also Windows 2000 DNS and DHCP, I had to take down my old DHCP, and disable WINS.
6. Upgrade the PDC first. I had no problem it took about 4 Hours but it worked fine. It didn't make me any problems. During the upgrade I also installed DNS and DHCP.
Testing:
7. Test and make sure that the workstations have no problem resolving names, get IP address, connect to the shares on the new/upgraded server.
Phase 2.2:
1. I added my new servers as member servers.
2. Installed ADC.
3. Installed Exchange 2000 as a new server in the same site.
4. Moved one mailbox so I can test it.
5. Moved all mailboxes to whatever server it had to go to.
6. Waited a few days so all users settings (that the server has moved) was upgraded on the client side.
7. Took out the old Exchange servers.
8. Change Exchange Site to native mode.
Phase 2.3:
This was very easy since this is just like setting up a new workstation, you just have to test a little more. And configure TS options.
Back to phase 2.1:
I upgraded all the other member servers and BDC's to Windows 2000 there was no problem.
When all Servers where upgraded I changed Active Directory to native mode.
Continued....

Collapse -

migration to 2000

During my tests (I did some testing before I was able to outline the above, so I can start my upgrade) I found the following:
1. Windows 2000 does a very good job on upgrading from NT 4.0. It is however better that you uninstall as many programs that you could.
2. Upgrading Exchange 5.5 is much easier than migrating to a different coumputer (I however couldn't do it since I needed new hardware).
3. When upgrading to 2000 Active Directory always start at the PDC.
4. Power Quest Drive ImagePro, is easier, has more options than Norton Ghost.

Collapse -

migration to 2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

migration to 2000

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)