General discussion

migtating from NT4.0 to Windows 2000

By tayoajayi ·
I intend migrating an NT4.0 single domain model to Windows 2000 later in the week. The present domain consists of about 4 servers. What are the necessary steps i need to take for a smooth migration.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to migtating from NT4.0 to W ...

Here is how I have done it. This is my totally paranoid list, so bear with me. Plus, it is 2AM now, I can't sleep, and I am doing this from memory. I hope this makes sense!
1. Install NT4 Server on a workstation, and make the machine a BDC of your existing NT4 domain. Let it come up, and Synchronize the NT domain (using Server Manager)
2. Once the sync is done, turn this new BDC off, unplug it from the network, and put it somewhere safe.
3. Put the Win2K cd in the CD-ROM drive of the NT4 PDC, open up a Command Prompt, and run:

CDROM:\i386\WINNT32.EXE /CHECKUPGRADEONLY

4. Make sure there are no upgrade problems in the list on the PDC. If there ARE problems, fix them NOW. If not, then continue.

5. Run the Autorun program when the Win2K cd is detected, and choose to Upgrade to Win2K.

6. During the upgrade process, you will be asked for the NetBIOS name you want (just keep your NT4 Domain name), the FQDN you want (COMPANY.COM or whatever you want to use), the AD Forest placement (be a root of your own forest), and if you want to install DNS during the upgrade (YES, for all that is holy, choose YES to install DNS during the upgrade).

Then just let it run. It takes like an hour or so, so be patient. Grab a soda or coffee or whatever. It will finish.

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to

Oh, stuff like turning off antivirus software before step 3 is a given!

Also, when the PDC is done and up, open up the AD tools and make sure your users/computers/groups are there. They "should" be.

You can now think about upgrading any online BDCs you have, and if you want to transfer any Operations Master rolls to them. All rolls (PDC Emulator, Global Catalog, RID, etc) will be on the old PDC (not just a DC; remember there are no Primary or Backup domain controllers in AD, just Operational Master process owners).

After everything is up and working, just format that BDC workstation. YOu won't need it. But it is nice in case the PDC were to crash and explode during the upgrade!

Good luck.

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)