General discussion

Mirrored drives on PC w/ 2000 Pro

By gmax95 ·
I have a simple question (hopefully not too simplistic): I've got 2000 Pro on my PC and just purchased a 2nd HD. I want to mirror my 2 HD's:

Is this possible using Win2KPro? Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to Mirrored drives on PC w/ ...

The simple answer is yes. However, this requires more explanation.

You have 2 choices for creating mirrored disks: the hardware route and the software route.

The hardware route requires you to purchase a RAID controller that will work will your hard drive interface (i.e. IDE or SCSI). Assuming the appropriate drivers are available, this solution would work regardless of your OS.

The software route uses tools that are built into the OS. There are a couple of caveats to the software route.
1. The disks to be mirrored must be converted from basic to dynamic disks. This is accomplished using the Disk Management tool.
2. You can only mirror partitions, not entire disks (unless the entire disk is one partition).

Hope this helps.

Collapse -

by gmax95 In reply to Mirrored drives on PC w/ ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by likertj In reply to Mirrored drives on PC w/ ...

Any type of RAID (i.e. Mirroring) is fault tolerant. The only want to do this on Win2K Pro or WinXPPro is to use a hardware card. Promise makes these cards for IDE storage devices. Windows 2000 Pro does not support any type of fault tolerant RAIDarchitectures. Volume Sets, Folders Mounted as volumes, and Stripe sets are supported through software. (not fault tolerant)

Collapse -

Collapse -

by cul8rm8e In reply to Mirrored drives on PC w/ ...

CONFUSED?
Windows 2000 Professional doesn’t support Mirrored and RAID-5 volumes, where as other Windows 2000 Server Operating Systems (2000 Server, Advanced Server) do support these fault tollerance features.

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)