General discussion


Missing/corrupted file

By jt03140 ·
my computer is not working, it says the WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM file is missing or corrupt...what do i need to do to fix it. thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by wcp In reply to Missing/corrupted file

1. Do ?chkdsk /r? without the quotes from Recovery Console.
2. Do ?Last known good configuration? from Startup menu.
3. If the system can boot to ?Safe Mode?, do System Restore.
4. If the system can boot to ?Safe Mode with Command Prompt?, do System Restore by following MS KB 304499: ?How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP? or
5. Follow the procedure from MS KB 307545: ?How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting? or
6. Reinstall Windows (in-place upgrade or repair installation) on top of the current one. MSKB 315341: ?How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP? or If the installation process does not see your current Windows, do not proceed. Go to next step.
7. Back up data and clean install Windows.

If you need help or more information, please add a comment.

Collapse -

by wcp In reply to

Do a HD diagnostic test. Your HD might have developed bad sectors, which might have corrupted Windows. Do this between Step 4 and 5.

Collapse -

by wcp In reply to

If the System Restore had been turned off, do not even try Step 5. This is same as first Windows installation.

Basically, what Step 5 does is to make Windows bootable to the point when Windows was first installed and do System Restore MANUALLY assuming System Restore had been enabled.

Related Discussions

Related Forums