General discussion

Missing Email in Exchange 2003

By Bill in Dallas ·
We use SBS 2003 and have Exchange set to get our email from our ISP's POP3 server.

Seems to be working fine when I have Outlook 2003 launched. Can send and receive email with no apparent problems.

When I am away from my desk and Outlook is closed, I notice that the next time I open Outlook, I do not get any email from the time it was closed until it was again reopened. I tested this last night at home. I was able to download email from our company's ISP POP3 server (yes Outlook was set to leave a copy of the emails on the server). As an experiment, I forwarded 6 emails back to my email address at work. From home, saw that they were received at the proper address. Yet this morning when I came in and started Outlook, no messages from 4:30 yesterday until 9 AM today.

Others in the office say they do not think they have had any such problems, so one of my settings is incorrect in Outlook or Exchange.

Where is the email going? It is my understanding that Exchange does not hold POP3 email in a mailbox for later retrieval but, hey, what do I know! (more of a network configuration guy)

Any clues as to where I should look?

Thanks,

Bill in Dallas

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Missing Email in Exchange ...

well how do you have exchange configured to retreive mail from you POP 3 account? POP3 with your ISP isn't directly from a sender to your Exchange server and Outlook inbox. Your ISP holds mail until exchange connects and downloads it. That would account for your not seeing any mail you send to your company mailbox go directly into your Outlook mailbox nor exchange reporting holding mail It hasn't gone to the POP3 account to get it.

Back to Windows Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)