General discussion

Missing Shutdown option on XP Clients - Win 2008 Domain Server

By johhcc ·
Hello,

I have a set up of Windows XP and newly added Windows VISTA client machines that all are part of one domain that is run by a Windows 2008 Server operating system.

I have been having the problem of the missing shutdown option from the first day i logged on to one of the clients as a regular domain user. As a local admin (XP) or as a local power user (VISTA) there is no problem of shutting down or restarting.

I checked with rsop.msc and the group my user is in is listed under Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment\Shut down Computer.

I also have disabled User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu & Taskbar "Disable and remove the Shut Down command.

I don't think the problem is on the client side because I freshly installed the mentioned VISTA machines and they had the same problem when I hooked them to the domain.

The domain users are also in the group of the local users that is listed when you check locally for the first mentioned policy.

I have tried solving this problem for a long time now and I haven't found any solution yet.

Does anyone have an idea? :-)

Many Thanks, johannes

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Apparently somewhere in group policy.

by seanferd In reply to Missing Shutdown option o ...

for the domain.
But I wouldn't know where myself.
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?threadID=268477

But it seems you have already checked that with rsop. Have you checked directly in gpedit? Could there be a conflicting setting for the group overriding this, even though the group is listed under Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment\Shut down Computer. You may need to check on this server-side.

Or check the registries for possible entries disabling this at
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\Shutdown

Grasping at straws - check event logs to see if there is any problem with user profiles unloading or policy being applied. If that is occurring, you may want to try UPHClean.

Collapse -

nothing new

by johhcc In reply to Apparently somewhere in g ...

Hi Seanferd,

thanks for the reply!

-no entry in the specified path of the registry.
-in all the other policies except the one for the domain controller, which is not applied to the machines, the "Shut down Computer" policy is not defined.
- the event log doesn't show anything unusual
- in secpol.msc I can see my group in the "Shut down Computer" setting

Best & thanks,
Johannes

Collapse -

solved

by johhcc In reply to nothing new

Hey,

it must have had something to do with folder restrictions i put on the windows directory.

Thanks, Johannes

Collapse -

Glad you figured it out.

by seanferd In reply to solved

Nice work. :)

Back to Networks Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)