General discussion

Modem error: 233 hardware error

By mndthegap1 ·
i am trying to get online using a 3com combo card for my laptop. when i try to access at&t world net i am getting the error:
"233 hardware error" modem device is allready in use or not working properlly. I have worldnet and global dialer on my pc
any ideas on how to resolve would be great.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Modem error: 233 hardware ...

Boot computer nad open the control panel and then click on the System Icon,select the Device manager tab and select the modem,highlight and then click properties,check to see if the hard ware is working properly,also make sure that the card is seated properly when inserted.

Collapse -

by mndthegap1 In reply to Modem error: 233 hardware ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by mphoffar In reply to Modem error: 233 hardware ...

Ia agree with the first answer to some extent in that you need to let the drivers reload, but you probobly just to remove the modem from the device manager and boot the sysstem with the card removed. Once booted up, reinsert the card. If it's installed, a card services wizard should pop up and self configure the card for you. If it's not, it should prompt you for drivers for the modem so make sure you have you driver disk ready.

When that's all done, you can go into the modem applet in the control panel, and then to the diagnostics tab and hit more info. The modem should send back some sort of responses in the bottom windows. IF that doesn't work, probobly a call to 3com would be your best bet, because I'd be wondering if the card is compatable with the PC card ports I have on my laptop, or if the modem is just dead.

IF the modem is working, you'll still have to go into dilaup networking and change your modem to the dialup applets. If you right click on each applet and select properties, you'll see where this is changed.

Good luck to you

Mark

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by jeremiec In reply to Modem error: 233 hardware ...

try to install the modem on another labtop to make sure your modem works, even if it's new, it's possible to be defective.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)