Question

Monitor blank on 9800 GTX

By campbelljeremy ·
I have a problem my PNY 9800 GTX OC XLR8. The card fan spins, LED lights up but when I connect it to the monitor via a vga-dvi cable the monitor goes blank.

I tried with an S-video cable and the same thing. But it is as if the monitor detects the card because when the monitor cable is not connected to anything it

displays a 'no signal' message...but when I connect it to the card it displays a "power saving message" then goes to standby. At first I thought it was the

power supply 500watt so I upgraded the power supply to a 750w. All pci-e connections are in place but the problem persists. The monitor and the pci-express

slot worked perfectly with my old video card an ancient ATI X300SE. I have updated the bios to the latest edition, have double checked that it is all plugged

in alot of times. Changed the bios to detect the pci-express card and oboard graphics are supposedly disabled when the pci slot is being used. And this is

what occurs with my old video card. I tried to find away to specifically disable it but the bios does not allow that, it only has an option to select pci-e as

the preferred which I did. What else could it be? I hope it is not the card that is why I would like to exhaust all options. As I live at an Air force base

in Ecuador and mail takes forever to get here. So RMA'ing the card is my last option. I tried to install the latest nvidia geforce drivers but I get the

error that the video card is not detected in both XP and Vista. After freshly installing both of them and trying to install the drivers. And as it is not detected via bios I don't think it is an OS issue. The computer will

continue loading windows normally even without displaying anything on the monitor when it is connected to the 9800 gtx, but I take out the vga cable and connect it to

the onboard graphics and it shows up fine, while the 9800 gtx is still running.

Here are my computer specs

Intel DG33Bu Motherboard
3GB DDR 667 RAM
Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276567&CatId=2533
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Q6600 2.4 Ghz Intel Quad Core
19'' LCD Widescreen LG L192WS

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated!!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Back to Desktop Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)