General discussion

Monitor-only 2/16col & 640x480 withW98SE

By Ian Boothby ·
PC - PCs'Direct Cyrix 6x86M233, 64Mb SDRAM, TXProII mobo with SoundPro Audio chip o/b and SiS5597 graphics o/b chip (allocated 4Mb in BIOS). BIOS is AMI 11/20/97 v1.0A. Monitor is Hansol 69Khz E17AL that used to run True Color at 1280x1024. It is equipped with DDC 1/2B for Plug & Pray.

It worked perfectly including top resolution/cols underW95, but I formatted the HD and did an OEM setup of W98 2nd edition. Now when I switch on, all I can get is 2 or 16 colours and 640x480 res.

I got thelatest drivers from Hansol and installed them, also the latest driver for the SiS graphics chip and installed that - but no change. The PC insists there is nothing wrong in Device Manager, the resources are using auto settings and causing no conflicts. When I boot in safe mode and change the settings to 800x600 (or up to 256cols) and reboot, I get a fatal exception 0D 0367:00005603 OR a black screen with a flashing underscore in the TLHS.

I'm no PC genious, but I've tried removing/disablingthe SiS adapter/Monitor driver/Plug & Play detection via the BIOS, all individually but still there's no change!

If I unplug the Hansol and connect up my old Compaq 443-P 151FS it works in max res and cols, so what can I do to get the Hansol to work?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by gazza-sa In reply to Monitor-only 2/16col & 64 ...

Hi,
the problem with the sis chipset motherboards is just that !
You need to install the drivers for from the motherboard driver cd.
The video adapter needs to be setup using the correct setup program supplied on the cd.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -

by Ian Boothby In reply to Monitor-only 2/16col & 64 ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by PaulP In reply to Monitor-only 2/16col & 64 ...

I agree with answer #1. You do not have the proper driver for you video display and/or monitor OR you did not install them correctly. Are you certain you obtained the correct drivers? If I were in this situation I would use the same drivers you were using before you reformatted. When you get those to work then you can upgrade to the latest drivers if you still feel you will benefit from doing so.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Macgyver.Hicks In reply to Monitor-only 2/16col & 64 ...

Hi Ian C B,
When you wiped the drive you took out the drivers for your video, audio and everything else. Unfortunately, Windows does not have all of the drivers you might need with it. Sometimes, it does but refuses to install anything but its own worthless drivers. Now, for fixing your problem. You can go to the one of the following sites to download the driver for the video (that is, if you do not have to original driver disk for the mobo). Once downloaded and extracted to a folder, right click on a blank area of the desktop, choose Properties->Settings->Advanced->Adapter->Change and direct the setup to the new drivers.

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Peaks/9026/

http://www.sis.com.tw/support/download/5598.htm

If that isn't enough, you may need to get a monitor driver from:

http://www.hansol-us.com/drivers/drivers.html

Follow the same directions as above, except, replace Adapter with Monitor. This should take care of what ails your computer. (At least, as much as can be done with Windows.)
I wish you well.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by BuffaloDan In reply to Monitor-only 2/16col & 64 ...

I like answer #3, some monitors required specific driver support in order to operate at the super VGA resolutions...get the hansol driver. (I have seen this many times with lesser known monitor brands ...)

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Thanks - all 4 of you helped a bit, but I still cannot get the adapter/monitor/W98SE to play nicely with each other. I DID get all the latest SiS and Hansol drivers and eventually got them installed ( against W98's wishes) and still low-res and max16 cols even though no conflicts, so I guess one of you was right when you implied I needed the original setup disk (which I don't).

What I've done is to disconnect the o-b graphics and install a Trio64 S3v2 card along with its proper drivers. It works the monitor AOK up to 1200res & True Cols. but the funny thing is that I now have a exclamation mark in Device Manager-Adapter, saying "Standard PCI Graphics Adapter VGA-your adapter will not work with Multi-Display-Support". So my guess is that W98 detects the o/b chip (tho' disconnected now) or the BIOS is telling tales - there is no option to turn it off, only to allocate 1 to 4Mb of RAM. Maybe I'll have to just live with it! Now I'm getting a MSGSRVR hang on shutdown - caused by the 8330 SoundPro chip - I think I'll cut my throat - it's easier than getting off this roundabout! Thanks again.

P.S. e-me if you get anything else useful!

Collapse -

Point value changed by question poster.

Back to Desktop Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next