Question

moving clients from nt domain to sbs 2003 domain causes crashes

By AnAnyMouse ·
We have had a single nt server with about 50 client pcs for years (all xp pro now). We finally got a sbs 2003 server and have elected to start a whole new domain rather than deal with migration issues. However about 1 out of every 3 or 4 pcs locks up when we try to move it. The http connectcomputer runs, the pc reboots twice, then when we log on with the new user, it never finishes. The taskbar never comes up and we cannot even get to the network settings to try and switch back to the old domain. The only remedy that has worked so far has been a complete reinstall. I would appreciate any help. I really do not want to have to reinstall 20 pcs. Can anyone tell me what I am missing?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

TCPIP

by p.j.hutchison In reply to moving clients from nt do ...

Could be your TCPIP settings are not set up correctly, the settings should have DNS pointing to DNS on your new SBS server so it can connect to new domain properly.

How are your clients getting IP addresses. Do you use a DHCP server? Check settings on DHCP scope.

Collapse -

dhcp ok

by AnAnyMouse In reply to TCPIP

We have DHCP and DNS running from the SBS server. The DHCP scope is set to point to the new SBS server for DNS. The problem does not occur on every pc we change over. Only about 1 in 3.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)