General discussion

Moving Novell 4.11 to new hardware

By smacdonald ·
What is the most efficient way to move from one server to an other. We are currently running 4.11 on a 1994 Compaq Proliant 2000 using Raid-5, we want to move to a new IBM Netfinity 3500 server using Raid-5. Are there any utilities like ghosting from Norton Utilities or can we use "across the wire" technology without doing a migration? All we want to do is to end up on the new server with the same applications and directory structure we have now. Thanks in advance for any help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by kuiphoff In reply to Moving Novell 4.11 to new ...

Take a look at TID 10014282 (22JUL2000). It's a TID about replacing the drives that contain the SYS volume which is basically what you are doing. Just be careful about overwriting important stuff on the SYS volume during your restore.

I have also had great success using ServerMagic (PowerQuest). First, copy any new device drivers you need for the new server to the old system. Then put the RAID controller from the old server into the new server effectively using the old server as an external drive array. Then use SM to copy the partitions from the old array to the new array. Then remove the old RAID controller and bring up the new box off the wire, edit the STARTUP.NCF & AUTOEXEC.NCF to reflect the new hardware and restart the server. I always use Compaq gear so this has worked wonderfully. I don't know what will happen if you try putting a Compaq RAID controller into an IBM box.

The really nice thing about this process is it leaves your old box fully intact. If anything goes wrong with this process before brining the new server up on the wire you can just bring the old server back up.

Collapse -

by smacdonald In reply to Moving Novell 4.11 to new ...

Putting the Compaq controller on an IBM is not what we want to accomplish. Thanx anyway.

Collapse -

by kuiphoff In reply to Moving Novell 4.11 to new ...

The old controller comes back out of your IBM box after you have used SM to copy the partitions to the new array. After that, you are left with your pure IBM box.

Also, did you check out TID 10014282 (22JUL2000)? You can also use Novell's upgrade instructions at: http://www.novell.com/documentation/lg/nw5/docui/index.html#../usnds/maintenu/data/hjjtjcxf.html

Collapse -

I wish to thank you for your help - I spent many hours going over the information that you provided. However, another individual had the exact same scenario/past experience as what we wanted to accomplish.
Again, I thank you for your advise and I appreciate your response and it was not a wasted effort on your part as I spent many hours investigting your solution.
Scott

Collapse -

by Richard.McKinney In reply to Moving Novell 4.11 to new ...

Server Magic is very expensive. If your boss is as cheap as mine is, you have to do it the manual method.

Is this a straight hardware REPLACEMENT, or are you adding a server?

If you are adding, this is simple. Build the server, and use your backup software to copy the data, retaining the trustee rights.

If it is a hardware refresh, and you need to retain the same server name, etc, then it is a little more difficult.

My team has done dozens of these types of hardware upgrades. The main restriction we have is a demand for minimum down time. Here is how we do it.

First, set up the IBM hardware the way you want. Think ahead! Don't just mirror the problems with the old system. With it NOT plugged into the network, do a fresh install from CD. When it asks to put the server in the tree, create a new tree called TEMP. Finish the installation to configure the correct hardware drivers. Set up the STARTUP.NCF, AUTOEXEC.NCF, and INETCFG settings. Install any SYS volumebased utilities. All this can be done during production hours without effecting the customers. Then run INSTALL again, and remove the IBM from the TEMP tree and destroy the TEMP tree.

Backup the data volumes to tape.

During the maintenancewindow, Map a drive to the Compaq from your admin workstation. Then run DSMAINT.NLM, and select the "Prepare server for hardware upgrade" option. This will take the compaq out of the tree. Copy the resulting data file to the admin workstation.

Shut down the Compaq. Plug in and start up the IBM. Load REMOTE.NLM and RSPX.NLM. Connect to the IBM from the admin workstation with rconsole (it's not in the tree, so you can't map a drive). Press F1, and copy the data file to the SYS volume. Run DSMAINT, and reinstall the server into the production tree.

Now you can restore the data volumes from tape (with trustee rights) and you are all set.

Collapse -

I wish to thank you for your help - I spent many hours going over the information that you provided. However, another individual had the exact same scenario/past experience as what we wanted to accomplish.
Again, I thank you for your advise and I appreciate your response and it was not a wasted effort on your part as I spent many hours investigting your solution.
Scott

Collapse -

by jaystoeber In reply to Moving Novell 4.11 to new ...

Yes. I have the solution right here:
http://support.novell.com

TID number: 2934033
4.x or 5.x Migration / DSMaint Procedure

Don't worry, there isn't a "migration" applicable to your scenario. This document covers something like 5 or 6 different ones. I am having to do the SAME thing right now. We're moving from a Dell PowerEdge 4200 with no RAID to a Micron NetFrame 3400 with RAID 5.
I searched for about a week and a half looking for this TID. Countless hours.

Now it's yours too. Enjoy......and don't lose it!

Good luck.

PS- Read the WHOLE thing two or three times before embarking.....digest it accordingly before attempting this operation.

Collapse -

I wish to thank you for your response - it worked out fine. Your past experience pointed us to the exact solution.
Again Thanx,
Scott

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)