General discussion

Moving windows 2000 dc / exchange server to new hardware

By echirambo ·
I have to move the first dc that was set up in in windows 2000 domain with exchange 2000 to a new Server with different hardware ( Compaq proliant ML350 G4 server).There is a second dc in the domain .
I have searched the net and have found the microsoft knowledge base articles on how to move windows 2000 to new hardware and how to move active directory and disaster recovery for exchange 2000 buthave had no luck.
After I do a restore from tape on the new server , windows hungs during startup, after i do a repair , i still have problems , when i eventually do get windows to start properly , nothing seems to work properly , i.e. active directory , exchange , etc.
I have tried several times.
Does anyone have clear guidlines which I can follow to do this ? I am desperate !!!!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by gary In reply to Moving windows 2000 dc / ...

1. Build the new box as a member server
2. DCPROMO it as a domain controller.
3. Wait for the AD stuff to replicate
4. Transfer over the FMSO roles (Are they all on one box? if so, BAD idea!)
5. Install Exchange
6. Use Exchange System Manager to move the mailboxes.

What your proposing doesn't need any fancy work with restores or anything like that. However, I would suggest investing sometime in looking at your backps as it sounds like you'd have real problems should a disaster hit.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Moving windows 2000 dc / ...

Gary's right and is the easiest way without a lot of problems.

Collapse -

by echirambo In reply to Moving windows 2000 dc / ...

Thanks for you answer Gary , but that means I have to change the name of the server . I would like to keep the server name the same as the old one.
And in a disaster recovery situation where i do not have the other dc , I would need to restore from backup. I would like to know how best to do this
I do not think the problem is with the backup , I think it is with the different hardware.

Collapse -

by echirambo In reply to Moving windows 2000 dc / ...

Thanks for you answer Gary , but that means I have to change the name of the server . I would like to keep the server name the same as the old one.
And in a disaster recovery situation where i do not have the other dc , I would need to restore from backup. I would like to know how best to do this
I do not think the problem is with the backup , I think it is with the different hardware.

Collapse -

by caltenbach In reply to

I am experiencing the same situation. I could easily add a server to our domain and replicate active directory database to it but that wouldn't do me any good in the event that the domain is unavailable. Has anyone else been able to restore their active directory database to different hardware ??

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)