General discussion

MS 2003 Server

By Super_IT_Mom ·
Every once in a while my W2K3 server acts up (will not let me open programs) so I reboot it. Every time I reboot this server, it gives me an error that I have a corrupt or missing config.sys file. So, I insert the CD and run chkdsk /r from the console. I had to do this twice in a row, until I added more RAM. Now it's only once. After it repairs, it boots up fine -- until the next time I have to reboot. What is going on, and how can I fix this problem?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to MS 2003 Server

check to see if you should defrag. i don't know that error message. are you sure it is accurate? can you give us more

Collapse -

by Super_IT_Mom In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by Super_IT_Mom In reply to MS 2003 Server

When I am restarting the server and it starts to come back up, before it even gets to the windows server splash screen, it stops and tells me that there is an error with the config.sys file or it is missing. So, I put the CD in and boot from that, run the consol and do a chkdsk /r. After it restarts, it comes up fine. I need for this to reboot right the first time.

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to MS 2003 Server

hey, if you haven't defragged lately why not try it. your symptoms of being able to boot from the hd with the setup cd installed perfectly fit the symptoms of ntldr residing on too heavily fragmented hd. see for yourself at support.microsoft.com

Collapse -

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to MS 2003 Server

Win2K3 does not use a "config.sys" file to load - are you sure that is what it's looking for? If this error message is accurate, then I'd say it's probably a boot sector or memory-resident worm or trojan of some sort that's trying to run. Do you have any antivirus software on this system, is it up to date and running?

Hope this helps!

Collapse -

Collapse -

by rindi1 In reply to MS 2003 Server

Windows Versions from NT upwards don't use config.sys files. Those files were used with Dos and windows 9x Systems to load drivers. It could be you are trying to startup a Dos program during bootup which looks for such a file. I suggest you start "msconfig" on your server, then remove all the items under "startup" which you don't need, then check if the problem still occurs. If you do need to start a dos-like program, windows nt upwards use config.nt and autoexec.nt files to simulate dos driver loading. you can edit these files for your application. You will probably have to create a "pif" file for that application where you can tell it to use these .nt configuration files.

Another possibility of course is, you have caught yourselve a virus..

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Super_IT_Mom In reply to MS 2003 Server

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)