General discussion

MS Access 2000 Data Entry

By gemailhiot ·
I am currently designing an application based on Access 2000. When data entry is done on some of the tables, I wish to replicate information between records. For instance, an employee time sheet would have the employee name, date, project number thesame on several entries.
Any suggestion or can you point me to where I can find Access tips & techniques?

thank you

gilles mailhiot

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by donq In reply to MS Access 2000 Data Entry

Not a problem!

Open any Access 2000 data entry form in design view and "double click" on any field where you want a default entry to appear. This will open the properties sheet for that field and "Data" and "All" tabs you will find a "Default Value" field where you can enter any repeating value. This will automatically populate a field with the default value every time a new record is added, and the user COULD overwrite the default value when necessary. Enter text strings within Quotes("") and proceed variable expressions with aan equal sign. (= Now(), =Time(), =Date(), etc.)

If something like a persons name is to be entered automatically it's best to build a multi-table query where the proposed value is automatically generated via the appropriate link, and that (foreign table) value is then entered in the default value (i.e., [TableName].[FieldName]).

There are no limits to the number of fields you can populate this way, and of course it's also possible to enter an expression in the "Field:" area of a query view window immediately behind a suggested label name for the produced column.

Good Luck Access is an EXCELLANT GUI design tool!

Collapse -

by gemailhiot In reply to MS Access 2000 Data Entry

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Bill_H In reply to MS Access 2000 Data Entry

(As per our e-mail discussions, I have sent a sample database via separate e-mail).

Find attached the Access database I mentioned. While I was waiting for your reply, I added a few items to the original.

The database contains two tables (tEmployees and tHours) and three forms (frmTimeSheetEntry, frmTimeSheetEntry2 and tHours subform). These entities are used as follows:

tEmployees - contains basic employee data; keyed by employee ID.

tHours - contains the time sheet data; keyed by employee ID, workdate, sequence.

frmTimeSheetEntry - this form has two parts. The upper section displays the tEmployees data for the employee corresponding to the value of the Employee ID field. You can cycle through the employee records by usingthe record selector at the bottom of the form. You can also navigate through the records by clicking on the Employee ID field, and then pressing TAB to move to the next record. The bottom section displays all records in the tHours table corresponding to the employee. Records may be added to the tHours table for an employee simply by entering the data in the lower section. Records may be added to the tEmployees table by either a) clicking on the ">*" (right-most) button on the record selector, b) clicking on the ">" button repeatedly, or C) navigating to the last employee record, clicking on the Employee ID field and pressing TAB. The Employee ID field will changed to "(Autonumber)", and the other fields will be cleared. Enter the employee data as necessary, and close the form or navigate to another record. The new tEmployees record will be created, and an ID number will be automatically assigned.

(Remainder of answer is contained in comment below...)

Collapse -

by Bill_H In reply to MS Access 2000 Data Entry

frmTimeSheetEntry2 - this form is similar to frmTimeSheetEntry in appearance. However, when the form is first opened, an InputBox appears, prompting the user to enter an Employee ID. The frmTimeSheetEntry2 form will then appear, displaying the tEmployees and tHours data for the selected employee. The record selector is no longer available at the bottom of the form. In addition, the EmployeeID textbox has been replaced by a combobox containing employee IDs for all current records; navigate between employee records by clicking on the combo box and selecting an employee ID. Records are added to the tHours table as described above. Records can only be added to the tEmployees table by entering 0 (zero) in the InputBox; the frmTimeSheetEntry2 form will appear. Enter the employee data as necessary, and close the form or navigate to another record. The new tEmployees record will be created, and an ID number will be automatically assigned.

tHours subform - this form is not used by itself, but serves to display data from the tHours table in the two forms above.

The VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) code underneath is minimal, and (I hope) is fairly simple to understand. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to drop me a line...

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)