General discussion

MS Access 2000 - Password required

By chuxiz ·
Hi good people,

Whenever I try opening or creating a database in Microsoft Access 2000 I get this prompt with Administrator as Username asking for my password. I cannot remember setting a password on the software. I have also tried removing the setting but I must log in as the administrator which I don't understand cause I don't have the password. What do I do cause I can't work in access now???

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Benyo In reply to MS Access 2000 - Password ...

It's been so long since anyone in my office has used Access properly that we've all forgotten the name and location of the security file that is created when a password has been set. All I do remember is that the first time I came across this problem with an Access 97 installation, I just uninstalled office, blew away the profile and then re-installed. Job done. I'm sure there is an easier way, but someone else is gonna have to step in with the answer, because I'm stumped!!!

Collapse -

by chuxiz In reply to MS Access 2000 - Password ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Reinstalling office must be my last option.

Collapse -

by tbird99 In reply to MS Access 2000 - Password ...

Hello,
Sounds like you are joined to a security file with specific policies set. There is a file "MS Access Workgroup Administrator" in the Office Folder under Microsoft Office. Double click it and you will be permitted to Join a different security file. The one you are looking for is in the same folder (if it isn't, run a search to see where it is), it's called "System.MDW". That is the default security file. Just browse to it and join, you will receive a confirmation that you sucessfully joined. Problem Fixed, however, it is possible that someone modified that same file (instead of starting a different file). If so, your back at square one, the previous suggestion (re-install) and probably you best option then.

Hope this helps:
TBird99

Collapse -

Great guy. It worked! thanks alot. Chuxiz

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)