Question

MS Access 2007 and Automating the Naming of PDFs

By empressbethany ·
Hi, all!

SOFTWARE INVOLVE MS Access 2007, Adobe Acrobat Professional 8, and I also have the MS Print to PDF add-in that came out with Office 2007.

BACKGROUN I am the registrar for a teeny-tiny, private school. I made an Access database to maintain student grades and contact information (which means I am the IT department, too). I would rate my "skills" with Access at about intermediate to low-intermediate. I have had no formal training and can only figure out VB tweaks if the instructions are explicit.

ISSUE: In an effort to scale back costs I have started uploading reports with specific names as PDF files to our website for the parents to view/print. I am looking for a way to do the following in one click of a button: 1) print the report with my Adobe PDF ?printer?, 2) name the resulting PDF with the student whose record is open on the form (so, ?DoeJaneReportName2008-09SY.pdf?), and 3) save the file in a folder on my computer that is upload to our website every night. Right now I am clicking the print button, selecting the Adobe PDF printer (because it makes smaller files than the Microsoft PDF maker add-in and a good deal of the families in the school are still on dial-up), copying and pasting a field on the form into the Adobe naming dialog box (the field might read ?SmithJohnPermissionSlip2008-09SY?), and saving the pdf to the folder I need it in. I do these one at a time?I don?t need to change that?based on reports that open/print because of a single student record I have open on the contact form.

QUESTION: Do you know where I can go to 1) find a solution, 2) pick up a book to teach me how to create custom solutions in Access, 3) connect with someone with skills (who doesn?t mind volunteering or working for next to volunteer wages?) who will create the fix and then leave the code open for me to explore so I can copy it for use across several forms and reports in the school?s database?

Thank you so much for reading! I know it was long, but I hope I included all of the pertinent information.

Sincerely,
Bethany

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

0 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Share your knowledge
Back to Software Forum
0 total posts (Page 1 of 1)