Question

MS Access 2010 database

By JDodgson ·
Tags: Software
I have an Access 2010 database which records items received, modified, and then sent out again. Each intake of items is assigned a Batch Number and each item within that intake is assigned an item number which is a simple extension to the Batch number. E.g a Batch number might be 140 and a single item within that batch would be 140.001 etc. Each batch could contain up to 100 items. The Batch numbers also have a number of dates associated with them – date received, date modification complete, date despatched etc. Obviously these dates also apply to every item within a batch.
I have a Form by means of which I enter the batch and item details. This is very clunky because I have to re-enter the Batch number and all the dates for every item in that batch. This is time-wasting and annoying and of course creates hundreds of duplicates in the batch number field. I have separate queries for items and batch numbers but a single table for all the stored information.
I need to be able to separate out all the items within a single batch for invoicing purposes and I would dearly like to be able to record all the relevant information when a batch is received on a single form.
I have tried very hard to create a single form which enables me to enter a batch number and dates just once plus all the items within that batch. This sounds simple but I can’t get it right. I have tried doing it with a Batch number form and an Item number sub-form with Batch number as the Master and Child fields, but there are two problems: The button to create a new record for an Item is disabled, and as soon as I create a new record form for a new Batch, the sub-form for items goes completely blank (i.e. not only are the contents of the controls blank, but the controls themselves, option frames, and associated labels completely disappears.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Share your knowledge
Back to Software Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)