Question

MS Exchange 2003 performance issues

By ws3d ·
We are running an Exchange server 2003,Enterprise Edition, that has to be rebooted every 4 weeks or so for performance reasons. It will process emails very quickly and slowly degrade over time until we reboot it again.
The server is 2K3 standard, quad processor and 4 GB of RAM.
We have run the suggested MS Exchange tools on it to make sure the configuration was correct. It isn't doing any other jobs (i.e. DHCP/DNS, Sharepoint, DFS, etc.)

Any thoughts?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Are you running the recommended /3GB switch in the boot.ini file?

by ManiacMan In reply to MS Exchange 2003 performa ...

By default, the OS will reserve 2GB of RAM for foreground processes, such as running applications, and the rest of the RAM, 2GB in your case, to background services. The /3GB switch in the boot.ini file will reserve 3GB of RAM for foreground processes, in your case the Exchange store.exe process, which will consume the majority of system resourced and processor cycles on the Exchange server. Also, you may have something causing a memory leak if the system works fine after a reboot but degrades itself in performance over time. Your only option to know would be to run performance counters through system monitor and track paging file and memory usage over the course of those 4 weeks. You need to establish a baseline to see where you should be and how much you're deviating from the norm. Also, you may want to look into 3rd party tools for Exchange that will prevent the Exchange information store database from getting heavily fragmented. Just like AD, which is a database, fragmentation will send disk I/O performance into the crapper because there will be too much disk thrashing going on to read and write to the database file.

Collapse -

I try your suggestions

by ws3d In reply to Are you running the recom ...

Thanks for the ideas.

We'll try the /3GB switch option and also check on the store database fragmentation. We're reasonably sure were not having memory leaks, although I will double-check the MS KB to be sure there aren't some specific patches we should install.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)