General discussion

MS KB840987 hotfix causing BSOD

By dclowers ·
I recently had a Dell GX150 system running Win2K SP4 just start blue screening at the splash screen and rebooting itself for no apparent reason. It would boot in Safe Mode but thats it. After wiping the drive and reinstalling Windows, and all the myriad of patches, it continued to do this. After another reinstall, I finally noticed it was doing this only after running Windows Update. So I booted to Safe Mode and removed the latest Hot Fix that was on the system, KB840987. The system booted fine. I have had this happen on three other Dells since then. After Automatic Updates run, they are hosed. All I do is boot into Safe Mode, uninstall KB840987, and reboot and they work fine. Most of my other machines are not affected by this. I'm really starting to hate freaking Microsoft.

Has anybody else been seeing this?

DC

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

M$ KB840987

by bfolger In reply to MS KB840987 hotfix causin ...

Yes,

We have had this same issue during saving of a new file with word and excel XP on a W2K enviroment.

0x00000006 INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT

I got a hotfix from M$ KB833314 wich helped but did not sloved it. After removing Symantec AV it stoped but I can't run 350 machines with out AV.

Collapse -

Damn its back again!

by bfolger In reply to M$ KB840987

0x00000006 INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT

Same error, but not the M$ KB840987 causing it.

Anyone have any other sugestions?

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/ent_sec/SAVCE8_KStackMinFree.reg

I imported this to the registry and it seems to have fixed it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus NT\Auto-Protect\InternalSettings]
"KStackMinFree"=dword:00002200

Collapse -

Yes - same problem on GX150

by Gentle Ben In reply to MS KB840987 hotfix causin ...

Had same problem today with 2 systems. Removed, and system works fine. Running Symantec AV - need to determine if related.

Collapse -

Same on IBM Laptop

by elaimins In reply to Yes - same problem on GX1 ...

Yep. It was worse for me.

I got the BSOD, rebooted and then got a kernel32 error-which locked the system, and I couldn't even reboot in safe mode or at all...

Had to rebuild the box

Collapse -

We have the same problem

by csmith In reply to MS KB840987 hotfix causin ...

All of our computers had the same problem when saving Word and Excel files. They all have Windows 2k sp4 and NAV. We removed the update.

Collapse -

Different Problem w/840987

by John.M In reply to We have the same problem

We have a number of Toshiba Satellites in the office. When we apply KB840987, the notebooks(all of them) get hung indefinitely on "Windows is Starting Up". Removed the KB and the problem went away.

Collapse -

Same w/ Micron TransPort XT2

by frost In reply to Different Problem w/84098 ...

Have experienced the same situation with 2 XT2 laptops, one with Norton Corportate 9.0 and one with Norton AntiVirus 2005

Collapse -

Similar problem with KB 885835

by romano@man In reply to Different Problem w/84098 ...

I've encountered very similar problem after KB885835 installation. It was necesary to remove it. So - be aware :-)

Collapse -

Dell GX-150 Same Problem

by yzf_andy In reply to MS KB840987 hotfix causin ...

I also experienced the same problem as described. Both computers are Dell GX-150 systems. I am also running Symantec AV- Corp Edition.

Collapse -

Same w/ GX400

by glenn In reply to Dell GX-150 Same Problem

So far this morning we have had 2 GX400's get the BSOD and get stuck in reboot loop. Both were running W2K SP4. Removing this hotfix solves the problem. Not sure that Symantec AV is involved since Windows never starts.

Back to Windows Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next

Related Forums