General discussion

MS Office 2000 Shortcut Bar

By wishdr ·
I have Microsoft Office 97 Professional and loaded Office 2000 Small Business on
top of it. Access and Powerpoint are from Office 97. My problem is with the Office
Shortcut Bar which is from Office 2000 (executed from Start/Programs/Office Tools).
When I click on an icon, I get the "Open with" menu even though the program is properly
set up on the bar. If I right click on the icon and click "open", it opens the program.
What is causing this and how do I corrrect it? I am running Windows 98.

Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by _Christian_ In reply to MS Office 2000 Shortcut B ...

I see several possible problems, so I will start with a question in return:

When you installed Office 2000, did you intall it as an upgrade to 97, or as a stand-alone (meaning both versions actually co-existing). I suspect the second.

I remember having seen that kind of problem before, but that was a while back.

The products were not intended to coexist, so there were various conflict.

Anyway, the first thing I would do would be to manually remove ALL the file associations for the file type which bothers you, then make a cold reboot, use the Explorer (NOT the office task bar), find one the files with that extension on the directory. At this point it should NOT diplay an icon implying an association. Double-click on it, which will give you the windows query for the file association. from there, select the version of Office you want it associated with.

Unless you have some malware playing with your system, that should do the trick.

Back to Windows Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)