Question

MS Office 2007 Excel files not opening

By CharlessReynoldss ·
I have MS Office 2007, Windows 7. When I double click on an xls file Excel opens up but it is just a empty excel program. It is similar to opening up excel and then just closing the book1 that opens up automatically. Just a grey background. Also I can't open up xls files by doing File > Open or dragging xls files into an already opened excel. And double clicking an xls does not work. I tried doing a detect and repair on excel but that did not seem to fix anything. Any ideas? Thanks!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

MS Office 2007 Excel files not opening

by TuomoKarvonen In reply to MS Office 2007 Excel file ...

Check the DDE settings for .xls file type in Windows Explorer. To resolve this problem, try the following method, as appropriate, in the given order.
Ignore DDE
This problem may occur if the Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) check box in Excel options is selected.
When you double-click an Excel workbook in Windows Explorer, a dynamic data exchange (DDE) message is sent to Excel. This message instructs Excel to open the workbook that you double-clicked.
If you select the "Ignore" option, Excel ignores DDE messages that are sent to it by other programs. Therefore, the DDE message that is sent to Excel by Windows Explorer is ignored, and Excel does not open the workbook that you double-clicked.
To correct this setting, follow these steps:
1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
2. Click the General tab.
3. Clear the Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) check box, and then click OK.
Maybe you should still try to use XLS Repair Kit if DDE settings will not help solve the problem? http://www.xls.repair/

Collapse -

2007 Excel

by TuomoKarvonen In reply to MS Office 2007 Excel file ...

Also, I think that this information will be useful to you.
https://community.office365.com/en-us/f/172/t/256362

Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)