General discussion

MS-Outlook 2000 SP3 Will Not Close

By SDavis ·
On a Win2K-SP4 Operating System the MS-Outlook 2000 SP3, with all the latest Office-2000 Updates installed, will not close upon Exit Command. The process will start and the Message Box appears stating that "Outlook is closing" but the program never does. It appears to just Hang at that stage and never completes the Exit process. Each time the Task Manager must be opened and Select and End Task on Applications: "Mapisp32" & "Outlook.exe". But the next time Outlook-2K is launched the same process starts over again. Have confirmed that Outlook Options and Mail Format are set to Rich Text. There are No COM Add Ins being used. Have Closed all other Programs prior to attempting to Close Outlook. Have ran Repair and ReInstaalled the MS-Office 2000 SR-1 Professional package but same results. All of the other Office Components work just fine and so does Outlook except for this one particular Closing problem. There are several Desktop and LapTop Computers at our site that are experiencing this same issue. All have the same Image Setup. Are there any known true resolutions to take care of this issue?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dustyD In reply to MS-Outlook 2000 SP3 Will ...

I noticed this same issue last year with the same OS/Office version. But, it was only when I was logged into two different systems with mail open on both.

I wonder if you have mail open on another system, or if someone else has your mailbox open?
I'll bookmark this thread to monitor responses.

Good luck.

Collapse -

by SDavis In reply to

This is an Issue with Several End-User PCs at our Site. Not all Computers at Site are effected. The End-User logs on to their assigned PC and Authenticates to our LAN and Exchange Server. The MS-Outlook 2000 SP3 Program and End-User's MailBox is only running on One Computer at a time. No multiple System viewing of the End-User's Mailbox iss taking place.

Collapse -

by tlandmesser In reply to MS-Outlook 2000 SP3 Will ...

I had a similar issue. Our environment is Exchange 2000 using Outlook 2000. I contacted Microsoft and they offered me a post-sp3 patch. I can put it on my website for you. Please contact me: timland@ptd.net

Collapse -

by tlandmesser In reply to

Here is the link from MS:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=834005
You can either contact them or I can provide it for you.

Collapse -

by SDavis In reply to

I located the Patch that you refer to. I went to Microsoft TechNet KB Article Number: 834005. This article is all about the MS-Outlook 2000 Post-Service Pack 3 HotFix package. You must Call MS Product Support Services to request this above HotFix Patch. MS Support will then send you an Instructional
E-Mail with a Web Link included to Download the required HotFix Patch [209491_intl_i386_zip.exe]. This Patch will need to be UnZipped and then Ran to place the [OUTLOOKff.msp] File within the MS Outlook Program File/Folder. Then the [OUTLOOKff.msp] File will have to be ran to Process the HotFix Patch. After that task the Outlook-2K Program can be opened and then Select Exit and the Outlook Program will close and No longer Hang within Task Manager.

Collapse -

by tlandmesser In reply to MS-Outlook 2000 SP3 Will ...

Did you run the patch? I have it and it worked just fine for me.

Collapse -

by SDavis In reply to

Yes, per the instructions listed above in my last Comments, the HotFix did Resolve the Issue and MS-Outlook now closes with no further Hang within Task Manager.

Collapse -

by KGhoops In reply to MS-Outlook 2000 SP3 Will ...

I have had this problem a few times here at my work. The command line switch "/CleanFreeBusy" without the quotes always works for me. Add this to the end of the command line for Outlook.
Here is the link to Microsoft's page.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197180

Collapse -

by mwalkeden In reply to

Thanks, this was a great help running Office 2000 with Exchange Server 2003.

Collapse -

by Aakash Shah In reply to MS-Outlook 2000 SP3 Will ...

Check if Outlook is set to perform a send/receive on exit (Tools / Options / Mail Setup / Send Receive / Perform an automatic send and receive when exiting).
If so, check to ensure that all of your accounts are working and that there are no send/receive problems.

If this doesn't help, run Detect and Repair (Help / Detect and Repair) - this solves the majority of my problems.

Good luck!

Back to Desktop Forum
13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next