General discussion

MS Project 2002 Web

By parier ·
MS Project Web Authentication Issue
We have approx 50+ users using Project 2002, Project Web and SharePoint. I
have one user who tries to access Project Web and as soon as he clicks the
link for Project Server, he is prompted for the domain username and password. No other users
experience this issue. We verified the user: a) in the domain b) is in
the same group as all other users c) password has not recently been changed

(Users do not login to SharePoint or Project web, the user accounts are
derived form the domain account when using Project Web)

If user enters domain\username and password, as long as they do not close
their browser, all is well...

Any ideas why this user is being prompted for domain login credentials?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

MS Project 2002 Web

by Joseph Moore In reply to MS Project 2002 Web

I am doing a similar rollout of Project Server 2002 and Project 2002 Professional clients, so I feel you pain! I am amazed at just how complex this setup is, not to mention how many manual tweaks that are needed!
Ok, no more venting!

Check the IIS web settings for the Project Server web site Virtual Directory (http://SERVERNAME/project server)
In the default setup for the virtual directory, anonymous access was Disabled, and the Windows authentication was Enabled. Make sure your virtual directory is set like that.

Next, make sure the user who is having this problem has rights on the folder level on the Project server. (I had to make my Project users domain accounts members of the Administrators local group on the Project Server so the web site would work.)

Lastly, make sure the computer the user is using is a domain member machine, and that the machine can talk to your domain controller.

Collapse -

by parier In reply to MS Project 2002 Web

The correction for this issue was to delete the users local profile and have them log back in, whe they retry Project all is wel;.... Who would have figured!?

Collapse -

MS Project 2002 Web

by Joseph Moore In reply to MS Project 2002 Web

The only way I have been able to get the Project web site to function correctly is for all Project users to be on domain member machines that can talk to the domain controller and the Project Server. That way, when they open the web site (from within Project Professional client), their local domain credentials are sent to the IIS Project web server. Those credentials have rights on the Project server. At that point, the users does NOT get the login/password/domain box. Instead, my users then get the Project login/password box (I am using Project Server accounts in Project, instead of Windows integrated accounts).

The whole thing is clunky, but so far it is working.

Good luck on this thing!

Collapse -

The correction for this issue was to delete the users local profile and have them log back in, whe they retry Project all is wel;.... Who would have figured!?

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)