General discussion

MS SQL 2000 Migration from SQL 6.5

By Bethany_L ·
Hello,

I have a new server, with Win2K server and SQL 2000 Server installed. I have an old server with NT 4.0 and SQL 6.5 sp 5a installed.

I have not been able to run the Upgrade Wizard. The export server is set to my 6.5 server, on a different box. The import server is my new SQL 2000 server.

I cannot even begin the migration due to the following error:

"The import server MUST be switched to SQL 2000"

Seems obvious, but I haven't been able to clear this error and proceed with the migration.

Someone experienced in SQL migrations could probably fix this in a second. Your time in addressing my question is greatly appreciated!

Bethany

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ratherbfishing In reply to MS SQL 2000 Migration fro ...

Bethany, here is a shot in the dark: make sure that both SQL Server service accounts are running under a domain account with admin rights. The upgrade wizard has to be able to switch back and forth between these.

Good Luck,

Collapse -

by Bethany_L In reply to MS SQL 2000 Migration fro ...

I am sorry to say that that is not the issue here. Thank you tho!

Collapse -

by Raffi_ In reply to MS SQL 2000 Migration fro ...

When doing a server to server upgrade (as opposed to in the same box) 2000 requires that the Server version 6.5 Service Pack 3 or later. When you do an upgrade (in the same box) then SQL Server version 6.5 Service Pack 5a is required.

So it would be wise to check your version and make sure that all of the SP's are installed.

Make sure that there are NO open proesses running against the 6.5 server. Check ODBS, W3 servers etc.

Also, this from the MS KB#Q261334:

Q. How should I configure my SQL Server 6.5 server prior to performing the upgrade?

A. If you will be upgrading your existing SQL Server 6.5 server to a new computer that is running SQL Server 2000, both computers should be configured to use a domain user name and password for the MSSQLServer service. The domain user account should also belong to the Administrators group on both computers. A local system account is sufficient for a one-computer upgrade. If you are upgrading across different domains, you must have a trust relationship set up between the domains before you start the upgrade.

Collapse -

Yes, I have read and checked the available information from Microsoft. Thank you.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)