General discussion

Locked

MS SQL 7.0 Install Glitch

By sblakeup ·
When migrating our MS SQL 7.0 database from one server to another, I'm getting failure during the SQL install. This is a clean server, 512MB of RAM, 40Gb of disk space, NT 4.0, sp-6a, dual processors. Going through the SQL setup log, the InstallPkgs process completes successfully. However, in the BuildServer portion of the install, there's an error message "unable to update path variable - RegDBGetKeyValueEx". When cnfgsvr.exe tries to run with user sa and no password (default?), the process exit code is (-1) and the message "Setup failed to configure the server...refer to error logs for more info..."

Is there any chance this failure is due to something really simple like using a domain account to start services on boot or a conflict with a second server on my network domain with the same with the same registration code used during setup? The sqlstop.log tells me the CDKEY VALIDATED, and the cnfgsvr.log tells me "an error occurred while attempting to start the service" (5)....not much to go on. We didn't have any problems with our intial install on the other server - a platform with considerably less available resources.

I've gone so far as to manually delete all the SQLSERVER entries manually from the registry and it doesn't seem to make any difference - the install craps out at the same point everytime.

I'm installing to a large NTFS partition instead of the default boot partition, but we're consistent with this and it hasn't been a problem in the past either.

Ideas?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

MS SQL 7.0 Install Glitch

by sblakeup In reply to MS SQL 7.0 Install Glitc ...

pardon the typo, that was the sqlstp.log file, not "sqlstop"....Freudian???

Collapse -

MS SQL 7.0 Install Glitch

by rawright In reply to MS SQL 7.0 Install Glitc ...

I'm familiar with part of your problem - a huge amount of information in the log files, none of which is useful! I have installed SQLS 7.0 on the server at work (WinNT4), and my PC at home (Win2KPro, and never encountered any problem. But I alwaysdo installations logged on as Administrator - I wonder if the user account you used has adequate rights to complete the installation. Have you tried repeating the installation from the domain administrator account? You might also try running the cnfgsvr.exe program using Admin for a password; I recall reading somewhere that this is Microsoft's default password for many products...

Collapse -

MS SQL 7.0 Install Glitch

by sblakeup In reply to MS SQL 7.0 Install Glitc ...

rawright:

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately, I've already logged on as our organization's default domain administrator (locally and on the network) and so I have the rights I need. Hasn't made a hoot of difference. The sqlstp.log file isn't too bad to wade through, it was easy to find when the problem occured, I just don't know what to do about it. I found a suggestion on the Microsoft web site (god forbid) that has another registry "cleaning" suggestion that I'll try. Anyone elsehave any ideas?

sblake

Collapse -

MS SQL 7.0 Install Glitch

by sblakeup In reply to MS SQL 7.0 Install Glitc ...

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

MS SQL 7.0 Install Glitch

by LA in Ohio In reply to MS SQL 7.0 Install Glitc ...

Have you tried reinstalling the Operating System? (Maybe your registry is corrupt?) The registration code is an unlikely cause, but can you confirm whether or not there are any share or NTFS permission restrictions on the directories where SQL is installed? I've seen where service won't start due to the start-up account not having ample permissions to the file(s).

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Collapse -

MS SQL 7.0 Install Glitch

by sblakeup In reply to MS SQL 7.0 Install Glitc ...

LA: Yes, I tried reinstalling NT more than once. I finally hit on the answer on my own....on a hunch, I removed the server from the domain (so it was in a default workgroup), cleaned out all the previous SQL and MSDTC registry entries and tried again. I wonder if Microsoft doesn't check for common license numbers within the same domain. Our intent is to migrate from one server to another (a hardware upgrade), and therefore to stay legal on licensing, but it's funny I didn't see any mention of this on the Microsoft TechNet site. Thanks for your help.

Scott

Collapse -

MS SQL 7.0 Install Glitch

by sblakeup In reply to MS SQL 7.0 Install Glitc ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Web Development Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Discussions

Related Forums