Question

MS SQL Server 2005 Standard (x64) Backup ? Agent or Not?

By p.oldfield ·
I?m trying to determine whether to go ahead with the purchase of the SQL Remote Agent for Backup Exec 11d.

I?m in the process of setting up a new MS SQL Server 2005 Standard (x64) implementation to act as the database server for the company?s MS Dynamics NAV system, and I am trying to determine the most effective backup solution.

I?ve read a mix of opinions on the SQL Agent for Backup Exec. Some say it adds another link in the chain for things to go wrong and it is priced much higher than a standard remote agent (our tape drive sits in another server). The other side of the coin is that this is a specific tool for the purpose of backing up SQL with Backup Exec ? if I don?t use this I?ll be setting up jobs within SQL Server to execute periodic backups to disk for writing to tape.

Our transaction rate is low, and we back up outside of office hours without any issues.

Essentially I?m looking for feedback/opinions on whether or not to go ahead with the purchase of the SQL Agent for Backup Exec ? what is the best, safest and most effective way to ensure our SQL data is securely backed up?

If there are any further details required to provide an accurate answer on this question please let me know and I will endeavour to respond with them.

Many Thanks in advance.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Share your knowledge
Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)