General discussion

MS Windows 2003 domain (Win 9

By zekeHLM ·
I have some issues and some questions which i wondered if anyone out there could give me a clue.

First off, i'm new to the whole domain thing, obviously. It is a MS Windows 98/2000/XP domain. Everything setup simple. It works, but I have some minor issues that annoying me...

Question #1:
In the user profiles i have it so the home path is directed to U(user's folder). It works with the 2000 and XP machines but NOT with the 98. I haven't been able to find any great solutions to this, instead i set it up so the people that use 98 are just mapped to the user folder containing ALL users folders and they only have access to execute/read/write to their own folder (U:\folder\user's folder) but this isn't pretty. is there any correct way to do this?

Question #2:
The MS Win 98 computers don't like .vbs login scripts (under netlogon directory). What looks like a command prompt pops up but says nothing and a window saying something about running NT scripts comes up but no script runs. The batch files I create (.bat) work fine. Am i doing something wrong?

Question #3:
After logging off then logging back on Windows 98 I can't check my pop email accounts (mozilla mail) without restarting. It says it can't be reached. I can access websites though. Did i set up DNS wrong, maybe? I just went through the wizard with it.

Question 4:
I read about a DSClient for MS Windows 98 that would allow certain things to work, but I could only find it for the 2000 Server and not for 2003. Is there one?

Any comments or help would be appreciated.
Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dmiddltn In reply to MS Windows 2003 domain (W ...

Q1: write a batch file that will map the drive.
NET USE U: \\server\users\%username%

Q2: Win98 doesn't like VBS without a 3rd party reader installed. I'd stick with batch files.

Q3: I think your DNS is fine. Maybe try setting up Outlook Express as a test.

Q4: There is a AD client... not worth loading.

Collapse -

by zekeHLM In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by zekeHLM In reply to MS Windows 2003 domain (W ...

Ok, I tried "NET USE U:\\server\users\%username% (using my correct server name and path) and it didn't work. it came up with the following error:

Error 50: You attempted an operation that cannot be performed from your computer or that is not supported on the specified server. Make sure you are using the correct server for the command or task that you want to perform. If the problem persists, contact your network administrator.

ALSO for my third question, I tried using Outlook Express with my account instead of Mozilla Mail and it came up with a similar error stating the mail server could not be found.

hmmm...

Collapse -

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

So, user home path STILL doesn't work, as noted above and the I think the issue with the email is directly related to NOVELL NETWARE. Most of our MS Windows 98SE computers login to the MS 2003 domain but also login to our Netware server. It automatically logs in using the same username and password as the MS 2003 domain. Any ideas why the email connection loss?

Collapse -

by adembo In reply to MS Windows 2003 domain (W ...

Q1: Windows 98 doesnt use profiles.
Q2: I agree with the other response
Q3: Have you tried entering the IP address of the mail server instead of the DNS name?
Q4: You have to use the Active Directory Client for 98 machines. Download directly from Microsoft.

Collapse -

by zekeHLM In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by br In reply to MS Windows 2003 domain (W ...

I just agree with the answers you got to Q2-4.

Q1. W98 can?t map subdirectorys!!
net use p: \\server\profiles\%username% or
net use h: \\server\homes\%username%
can?t be done!

The first thing after the servername is the sharename - and nothing more is allowed for the net use command on w98.

You maybe want to look at the "subst" command to correct this (maybe a solution but subst will not support acls in any way!!).

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)