General discussion

MS Windows 2003 domain (Windows 2000 Client)

By zekeHLM ·
I'm new to domains. I just set it up. I have some quick questions i was hoping someone out there could help me with.

I have a MS Windows 2003 server setup as DC with AD.

Question #1:
On Win 2000, is there a way to allow the emails (outlook express) to be saved to one area and be accessed by a computer whether your through the domain account or local login? I have a client that checks email at home then here logs onto the domain and needs those emails he checked at home but they are saved under the C:\documents and settings\"local" account but uses the C:\documents and settings\"domain" account at work.

Question #2:
MS Win 2000, logging in on "local" with SAME username/password as domain allows access to server by going to run and typing \\server-name. Is that normal/right? Other than changing the local password I'm not sure if there is a more secure solution.

Any info would be appreciated. thanks!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by haileyan In reply to MS Windows 2003 domain (W ...

I assume your user is using a laptop?

#1 He should be logging in out of the office the same way he does when he is in the office. Windows caches his login in and even though he is not on the domain he can still log in on the laptop leaving the "log in to" set to the domain. In this manner he is always using the same profile.

#2 Yes this is normal. When shares are created by default that are visible unless you hide them. You hide them by adding a dollar symbol ($) after the share name when you create it (or after.) Also, you will notice that your share permissions by default are set to "Everyone". I always change the rights on my shared folders so that only Doman Users have access to them.

Check to see if an unauthenticated (locally logged on user) can actually access anything in a share. If he can you need to modify the permissions.

Collapse -

by zekeHLM In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by Whatme? In reply to MS Windows 2003 domain (W ...

Assuming you cahnged the user to log into the domain and use their "roaming" profile....
When the client is at work, their profile saves mail settings in the c:\documents and settings\username\local folder. Same thing at home. (Local..means it is stored locally on that particular computer)You can change where they save their mail settings(to a non-localfolder but if their email storage gets too high, when they download their profile, it could take quite awhile. It is far safer to have the user use a web mail interface while at home, or even IMAP, which would leave all mail on the server

Collapse -

by zekeHLM In reply to MS Windows 2003 domain (W ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)