General discussion

MS Word 2000 Menu Commands Vanish!

By FriendofAslan ·
How can I get my menu commands and toolbars to reappear in my MS Word2000? I openned up Word last week and no tool bars or menu commands appeared above or below the bank page. They vanished and no matter what I try I cannot get them back! I can still do save/print/spell check and find commands using funtion keys but very little else. When I press the right mouse button I get an option of [cut/copy/paste/font/paragragh/bullet-numbering/hyperlink]. How can I bring back my menu commands? I consider(ed) myself an advanced MS Word user, but this has thrown me for a loop. I even deleted and reinstalled Office 2000...but this didn't solve the problem. I use Widows95. My McAfee virus program is active and updated and shows no virus activity.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Scott

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

17 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Top_Banana In reply to MS Word 2000 Menu Command ...

Try recreating the Word template.
Find the file NORMAL.DOT and rename (for example normal.bak)
Launch Word and it will recreate it. Problem should be solved.
Please let us know if it doesn't work. I have other ideas.

Collapse -

by FriendofAslan In reply to MS Word 2000 Menu Command ...

Thanks, but... I renamed normal.dot to normal.bak and relanuched Word. However, no change. Please share your other thoughts. Even when I uninsall and reinstall Office2000 the problems remains. Can I do do something from win.ini or some directory that is remembering the setup?

Collapse -

by mbazzell In reply to MS Word 2000 Menu Command ...

Point all the way to the top of your screen with your mouse and then double click and see if they come back. One of my users had the same problem. Hope this helps!

Collapse -

Double clicking the top of the page only resizes my page. Any other thoughts?

Collapse -

by Scott Roche In reply to MS Word 2000 Menu Command ...

Right click on gray area at the top and see if you get the Customize option under the list of Toolbars. Click Customize and click the Reset button.

Collapse -

Sorry, didn't help...thanks for trying. The problem is "deeper". Today I completely uninstalled Office2000 and reinstalled it. I opened Word, and the problem is still there. Ughh! Help!

Collapse -

by abailey101 In reply to MS Word 2000 Menu Command ...

Just uninstalling office is not enough. MSO does not remove registry entries when you uninstall office. Go to Microsofts website and download the registry cleaner. Uninstall office, run the registry cleaner, then reinstall office.

Be sure toreboot after each step

Collapse -

I tried this. I down loaded two Office 2000 (for CD1 and CD2, what everthat means) registry file erase programs from the microsoft download. To my amazment, after I reinstalled OFF2000 my Word program was the same as before. However, Anwswer #8 from "user delete" solved the problem.

Collapse -

by zubin In reply to MS Word 2000 Menu Command ...

First check if there is any empty menu bar in word 2000 if it is there just right click on the empty menu bar select Customize command from the menu, so in Customize Dialog box in Toolbars select MENU option and than click on RESET button it will reset your original toolbar. And even with this option you can create your own customized menu.
If it works email me on
zubtech@yahoo.com

Collapse -

Sorry, there is no menu bar.

Back to Software Forum
17 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next