General discussion

mscd001

By scott ·
Question:

mscd001
My quistion is:

I have just obtained some older laptops with docking stations.

I have loaded win 98 on all the toshibas,s just fine, but my IBM think pad with docking station will not lacate the cdrom. (New cdrom drive)no software 4.8 meg to down load from IBM.That is to big for a floopy.
I have changed the bios to boot from cd first I have tried to dowm load drivers and still no luck

what can I do do get this machine to see my cdrom so that I can load windows 98.

Thank you guys for your time
Scott

Thank you guys for your help
I have tried the boot disks, but they will not boot it says cannot boot in dos.

I have tried to load the drivers and still no good.
Always get mscd001 not found. The light even goes on for the cdrom but say no drives found aborting instalation .
The at the end of bus scan. Says driver not found mscd001 no valid cdrom devise drives selected.

Thank you again for your help

How can I load the operation system from this hot swap. Disd you mean remove my hard drive from the lap top.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to mscd001

you need MSCDEX which is the DOS driver that should have been loaded by Windows 98 after the BIOS to O/S hand off. Now it could be that W98 doesn't see the CD Rom in which case it won't load up the generic CD Rom driver. During the boot process, the BIOS should detect the CD ROM connected to your IDE channel and assign it an IRQ. Now if the data cable is bad or the power supply cable is bad [or the CD ROM} the drivers wont be installed. Tell us if the BIOS sees the CD ROM and assigns it an IRQ or check in device manager in W98 and see if your CD Rom drive is shown.

Back to Windows Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)