Question

MSSQL 2000 Personal Edition and Desktop Edition

By jimmy-jam ·
Are they the same thing? I've tried to find Personal edition on the interent but this Desktop Edition keeps turning up...

?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Application need or User need

by LarryD4 In reply to MSSQL 2000 Personal Editi ...

The Desktop Edition is a more barebones install, to be used with an application that needs a a SQL engine.

Quote from MS Web site refering to SQL Desktop

The SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) is a redistributable version of the SQL Server relational database engine. MSDE 2000 is designed to be distributed as a part of applications that require a local data store. Software developers can code the setup of their application to install an instance of MSDE 2000 and build a database to be used by the application. The application is then coded to perform any needed administration of that database and instance of MSDE 2000, and to use the data in the database to store application data.

The Personal Edition though essentially the same, including size limitaion, includes more management and development tools.

Collapse -

I have MSSQL Standard edition

by jimmy-jam In reply to Application need or User ...

From what I've read so far, Personal Edition is included in Standard Edition. I am trying to load it on an XP Pro machine. What I have not been able to find is how to "extract" personal edition from standard edition. Any thoughts?

Collapse -

Hmmm

by LarryD4 In reply to I have MSSQL Standard edi ...

I'v never had a need to install the Personal Edition and we have a seperate install CD that came with our MSDE Library. You may want to check and see if you can DL it from Microsoft. But actually extracting it from Standard, I'm sure can be done, but I wouldn't know where to start.

But I'm gonna nose around to see what I can find in our old SQL 2000 standard disk.

Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)