General discussion

multiboot 98 nt4 2000

By Healer ·
On one computer, I have just installed windows 98SE on FAT32, then installed NT4 workstation and NT4 server on 2 separate NTFS partitions. When I got to the Windows 2000 part-way installing I got 0x0000007B inaccessible boot device error. I remember I could do it before and now I just can't repeat it. I had windows 98SE, NT4WS, NT4SRV, xppro, 2000pro all on one hard disk on the same computer before. I got into trouble when I started restructure the hard disk. I wonder if somebody can shed some light on this.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to multiboot 98 nt4 2000

How many partitions are on the hard disk?

What format are the partitions?

How exactly did you restructure the hard disk partitions?

Collapse -

by Healer In reply to

I didn't create all partitions beforehand. I did it once and I'd found that 98 wouldn't install if it saw ntfs partition on the hard disk. So I created and formatted the first partition fat32 with gdisk and installed 98SE. This is the primary active partition. Then I booted up with NT4 workstation CD and the process created a partition NTFS and installed the os. NT4 doesn't see 98 as it is set to fat32, so this is another primary partition and set to active. When I did the same again for NT4 server it was put to a logical drive on the extended partition together with NT4 work station. Everything was then fine until I started to install 2000 which was put to another logical drive in the same extended partition. I definitely got the same structure working before. There must have been someting different but I just can't figure out at this stage. I was reorganising it so that I could put a linux partition on the same hard disk as well. I wanted to set up a web server to test a web site I am working on. I managed to install Linus Red Hat version 9 on top of all other operating systems and there was no problem. Owing to the size of the hard diskand of respective partitions I wanted to reorganise it. At present I have another computer installed with ME, windows 2000 server and xppro and this works fine. I believe all the problem I have has something to do with the NT4 I installed. By the way, I have already installed the patch 6a on the both NT4 otherwise I would not be able to start installing 2000 at all. I usually have multiple operating systems installed on my 2 desktops so that they are readily available for me to support people having problems with computers and networks.

Collapse -

by w2ktechman In reply to multiboot 98 nt4 2000

Ive never tried a tri boot like this, but I remember some time ago (when win2k came out), that an NTFS patch had to be added to NT4 or there were problems with win2k (or vice versa).

Collapse -

by Healer In reply to

I have installed service patch 6a onto NT4 partitions. I couldn't completed installation of 2000 so I didn't get to the stage of patching yet.

Collapse -

by ronny.baeb In reply to multiboot 98 nt4 2000

Decrease (yep decrease and not increase) the memory to 64Mb, that so do it (I had the same problem 2 years ago and after Three days of trying it seems that that was the solution)

Collapse -

by Healer In reply to

Really increditable! I have 256MB memory installed at present. It should be the more the better. The memory is all in one piece. I can't reduce it to 64MB.

In you case, I guess you might have had some faulty memory chip that you might have had taken away when you set out to reduce the memory size.

Collapse -

by mahansench In reply to multiboot 98 nt4 2000

Hi,

Check out both these internet pages where this problem is explained:

http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/archive/l0706/09l06/09l06.asp

http://www.smartcomputing.com/techsupport/detail.aspx?guid=&ErrorID=23375

You will probably have to restart the Windows 2000 installation.

Collapse -

by Healer In reply to

Thanks! I have checked out the two web pages. One is talking about hardware problem which I don't think I have because I have successfully installed 98SE, NT4 workstation and NT4 server on the computer. The other one is talking about how to install NT4 or 2000 but not multiboot. I'm sure I have no problem installing windows 2000 alone as that was the default OS I used on that particular computer before I wiped out the system for re-installation.

Collapse -

by p.j.hutchison In reply to multiboot 98 nt4 2000

Normally you would install an OS on Primary parition (upto 4) and NOT on Logical partitions in an Extended partition which may be cause of the problems...

Collapse -

by Healer In reply to

I have had OS set up on anther desktop without any problem. Moreover, I did had multiple OSs set up on extended partitions in the same computer before.

Back to Windows Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next