General discussion

Multiple domains in exhange 2003

By sathishp ·
Dear all,

My name is sathish. I have exchange 5.5 hosted with www.companyname1.com address in my office and it is working fine. Recently, we've registered a new domain companyname2.com, we are planning to migrate from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003 environment. I'll be using companyname2.com as my new email domian in exchange 2003 server, but i dont want right off the existing domain (companyname1.com) for some point of time (at-least 6 months period minimum). so how can i achieve this ? i also dont want to maintain a seperate server for my old 5.5 enviroment (companyname1.com email domain). So, is there any way i can setup my old email donmain (companyname1.com) along with my new email domain (companyname2.com) on exchange 2003, so that i can receive the old domain emails automatically to the respective mailboxes .

FYI: Im concerened about receiving the mails only from my old mail id because i can always reply a request to the sender to update their email address with my new email id.

please excuse me, if im asking very basic question, but i would be really greatfull in receiving the know how to achieve it.

my email id is: psathishkumar@yahoo.com

please help me ASAP cause im have to achieve this in couple of days.

THanks in advance.

Sathish.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by sathishp In reply to Multiple domains in exhan ...

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by p.j.hutchison In reply to Multiple domains in exhan ...

See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822943&Product=exch2003

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to Multiple domains in exhan ...

This is very simple to do. Once you've installed your new 2003 server and migrated your users, moved all the mailboxes, public folders, etc., etc., all you have to do is:

1. Wherever your public DNS records are hosted, make sure they change the IP address and/or server name, if necessary, for BOTH domains so that they are pointing to the new server.
2. For each user in your company, as a secondary email address so they have two email addresses in their AD User account - the default one would be the new one (user@companyname2.com) and the secondary one would be the old one (user@companyname1.com).

3. Decommission and remove your old Exchange 5.5 server according to the instructions from Microsoft documentation.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -

by Rvickers78 In reply to Multiple domains in exhan ...

Also in Exchange 2003, as I found out when I tried adding a new domain to my server is you have to mail sure that the domains are listed under the default policy or it will reject all emails. Other than that like the other answer said, just include the old email address in with the new email address in the active directory user settings. Its probably a good idea to keep them both running for years. I have some users who contacts still can't understand they have a diffrent email address and its been 5 years since we switched domains.

Back to Software Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)