General discussion

Multiple nics w/SBS 2000 or jus IP#s

By Whatme? ·
I am setting up Small Business Server w/40 clients. It will run our Exchange,SQL,IAS as well as file,printer,dns,dhcp etc.
Should I set it up with a separate nic going to each of the main services from the router or just one nic with multiple IPs. I was only planning 1 but am just checking to see how others have done it.

Thanks
Merv
mervt@polarnet.ca

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Curacao_Dejavu In reply to Multiple nics w/SBS 2000 ...

more than 1 nic.
First for fault tolerance, so you can fall back on the 2nd nic if one happens to fail.
2. depends on how much traffic you are going to expect for each service, if one service (file and printer sharing for example) generates much traffic it will cause a problems for the people access sql.

Im not the best in mixing service on 1 servers, but I think it's not a good idea to have all one 1 server. If something goes wrong it effects all people. If the file and printersharing is not working for example and you have to reboot it will effect people you are accessing their email too.

Further more some service don't play well together.
I would use exachange and IAS one 1 server and SQL, file, printer, etc on another.

Leopold

Collapse -

by Curacao_Dejavu In reply to Multiple nics w/SBS 2000 ...

check on the MS site also for more info, they have white papers and best practices for each on the services you want to implement.

Collapse -

by Whatme? In reply to Multiple nics w/SBS 2000 ...

SBS is designed to operate on one server. I really didn't want or need to get into a second with only 40 users. That is max. Most of the time, there would be a lot less.
Thanks anyway.

merv

Collapse -

by TPrinzo In reply to Multiple nics w/SBS 2000 ...

I am not sure of your setup, is the router coming from the Internet or your LAN?

If from the Internet use a second NIC.

If from your LAN just the one NIC should be fine. Even with 40 clients it should be fine as long as the server hardware is up to speed.

The pervious answer made a good point about if you need to reboot, However SBS works very well and is designed for only up to 50 users. This single box design not only saves a lot of money but also keeps things a bit simpler.

Hopethis help.

you might want to check out the smallbiz200 newsgroup at msnews.microsoft.com

Collapse -

Thanks. checked out the news group. Router is coming from the internet. The whole point of this was to make it fairly simple for this case.

Thanks
Merv

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)