General discussion



By aspowell20 ·
We run Windows Me on our harddisk that contain very sensitive information. After a staff used it, the harddrive refused to boot.
I tried to change the os to Win xp professional. After a while the harddrive refused to even register. Instead it is giving the following message:

Invalid drive specification. Even when I start the system with win 98 boot disk. It gives the same message. Is there a way I can recover the lost partition?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to MY HARDDISK REFUSED TO RE ...
Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to MY HARDDISK REFUSED TO RE ...

If you are VERY lucky, all that has happened is that the controller board on the hard drive has failed.

The best way to recover form a HDD controller failure is to replace the board with one from the same make and model drive.

This isn't a Fujitsu drive is it?
They have a class action settlement for a failure of the controller IC for some drives.

I ask because your symptoms are very similar to a system I recently repaired.

Short of the controller board, your best recovery option may be to send the drive to a data recovery service.

One other chance, is to download and read through the TR download 200 Ways to recover a dead hard drive.


Collapse -

by aspowell20 In reply to

Exactly! The harddrive is Fujitsu.
Thanks so much for your reply. I found them very helpful. I will download the Techrepublic 200 ways recovering a dead harddrive. Once again, thank you and God bless

Collapse -

by aspowell20 In reply to MY HARDDISK REFUSED TO RE ...

This question was closed by the author

Related Discussions

Related Forums