General discussion

My Windows 2000 is messing up

By Rel Blackmane ·
I have recently installed Windows 2000 Professional on my home computer; Celeron 700 overclocked to ~800 MHz with 256 RAM.
I consistenly get the error whenever I restart of:
Explorer.exe - Application error
The instruction at "0x00408902" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".
I am an A+ certified tech at a small computer reseller in northwestern Ontario.
I've done an extensive search on the Web for answers.
Am I missing something or What? How do I fix?
Rel Blackmane

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Admin-Stuart In reply to My Windows 2000 is messin ...

This problem is documented as a problem of allotment of sufficient memory buffer, requires application of a service pack, and is on the MS knowledgebase at the following address (remove any spaces that appear in the URL):

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q262490

Good luck.

Collapse -

by Admin-Stuart In reply to My Windows 2000 is messin ...

P.S. The article states that it assumes you eventually can completely boot the OS after numerous tries, so that the service pack can be applied. Hope so.

Collapse -

by Rel Blackmane In reply to My Windows 2000 is messin ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by BuffaloDan In reply to My Windows 2000 is messin ...

I would also recommend actually clocking the CPU at it's rated speed, sure you "SHOULD" be able to overclock it, but not all chips are equal, there are very minor discrepancies between all semiconductors, even among the same batch!

Also, and thisis the Biggie....

Not all MotherBoards/chipsets will manage clock speeds identically.

I would eliminate this one possibility first, as it is very easy to eliminate.

Alos, Not all Ram Sticks are created equally either.

Finally, document carefully all apps and services that are running as you proceed with your restart.

As you say, when doing a restart, explorer attempts to write unsaved data to disk, and to save current settings. Explorer is attempting to execute an instruction from a specific memory address, and pointers for that instruction are leading to an INVALID Memory address. Somewhere inb the clock speed shuffle, that instruction lost it's reference.

Also, What service pack ya running?

Good luck

Collapse -

Tried service pack2 and lowered my clock speed to original specs. Instead I get the message: "0x004090c8" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".

Collapse -

by jesselou In reply to My Windows 2000 is messin ...

try to disable those that refer to memory shadowing in your bios advanced chipset settings.save settings and restart computer. try also to lower your hardware acceleration
in your display properties.

Collapse -

Found out it was a bad AGP slot. Replaced motherboard and it works fine now.
Thanks though,
jello

Collapse -

by Diamond Dan In reply to My Windows 2000 is messin ...

Hi Rel,

I suggest booting from Win2K cd and selecting the repair option. There is clearly corruption in the instruction code of the Explorer.exe program (which is the backbone of the GUI in Windows).

A sure clue to corrupted code is how afteryou make the changes listed after posting #2 the error showed a different memory register address (where the call resides) calling the SAME illegal memory address (0x00000000). This memory address is not addressable for windows programs.

BTW - overclocking and other hardware concerns could not cause this problem, as the only factors involved are the program code (in assembly), the MCC (Memory Controller Chip, your chipset), and the physical RAM stick. Sure, other pieces of hardware are involved in the processing of the instruction set, but they are non-factors in this case.

If the Windows 2000 CD cannot successfully repair the installation, then you will have to reinstall the OS, as finding and correcting the corrupted code manually would be not feasable (between executable and dll's there are too many files) unless you are a programmer or hacker familiar with assembly.

cheers
-dan

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Caper In reply to My Windows 2000 is messin ...

Make sure you have installed the the first service pack for win2k from Microsoft. Without this patch Windows 2000 will run the first Explorer.exe it finds on the system starting with a search of the root directory...in other words it may be running the incorrect version of explorer.

Back to Desktop Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next