Need a bios flash for an Acerpower s280

By jdjohnson ·
I am running WinXP Pro on an AcerPower S280. I have 2 Gb RAM installed, which has been tested as good, but windows only sees 1 Gb. I used CPUz to detect all 2 Gb, as well as the following motherboard information. I believe I need the correct bios to rectify this issue.

Motherboard Acer
Model E661FXM
Chipset SIS 661FX
Southbridge SIS 964
Sensor ITE IT8705

Acer support wants $60 just to talk to me, does anyone know where I can get this free (or cheaper) online?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

No BIOS Update - RAM Density

by TheChas In reply to Need a bios flash for an ...

Looking at the Acer support site, a BIOS update has not been released for your system.

Yes, there are third party vendors that right custom BIOS chips at your request. The last time I checked into that, it was more expensive than I wanted to pay.

I'm not that sure that a BIOS update will correct your problem.

I suspect that the memory you purchased has a higher density then is supported by your Acer. Look at your old memory. If your new memory has the same number or fewer chips on it, it is of higher density and may not function.

I have had good luck matching system specific memory at Memory-Up. They list 1 GB modules guaranteed to work with your system for about $40 each.
They do give the following warning:
"Your Acer AcerPower S280 only supports memory modules made with a specific type of chip. Should you find what seems to be the exact same memory modules elsewhere for a lower price, it is very possible that the cheaper memory modules will not work in your system. By using Memory-Up's Memory Finder, your selected memory modules are Guaranteed To Work or your money back"

You can also use the memory tools at major memory makers web sites such as Crucial, Kingston and PNY to identify the recommended memory for your system.

Interestingly, only Crucial lists your system. Here are the specifications they state for their compatible memory:

# Module Size: 1GB
# Package: 184-pin DIMM
# Feature: DDR PC3200
# Specs: DDR PC3200 ? CL=3 ? Unbuffered ? NON-ECC ? DDR400 ? 2.6V ? 128Meg x 64

The CL=3 and 128Meg * 64 are relate to the timing and density of the RAM.

Collapse -

Probably the easy solution here

by OH Smeg In reply to Need a bios flash for an ...

Is to check the RAM that you have bought and make sure that it's suitable for this system.

You can use a RAM Suppliers Upgrade Service to do this like the one from Corsair here

As the Chas has said it very much sounds like you have the wrong RAM for this system.

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)