General discussion

Need AS400 instructional resources

By Jrowland ·
My company as recently sold and are moving to an AS400 based MIS system. I need to learn the AS400 system and fast. Is there anyone you is familiar with the SMS system and can provide several resources to learn the AS400?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Erwin Marsch In reply to Need AS400 instructional ...

Wow! Why don't they just ask you to learn Chinese in a week and a half! I know of one pretty good computer based training site on AS400. It is called AS400 Central and provides the tools to learn about the IBM AS/400 midrange system from your home or office. They offer a CBT course and a more intensive 'boot camp' course. The boot camp course has a lot of instructor/tutor interaction by email and includes 24-hour access to equipment running AS400. It also uses tests to measure advancement. None of these options are cheap but they have them divided into segments so it can cost a lot or it can cost a lot more. I am not going to get into cost in TechRepublic because the cost is beside the point. The point is they can get you up and running in a reasonable amount of time if you are willing to learn. The course offerings are very well laid out and you can see what you are getting into at:

http://www.as400central.com/

Good Luck,
Erwin

Collapse -

by Jrowland In reply to Need AS400 instructional ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by highlander718 In reply to Need AS400 instructional ...

Usualy they provide you with a lot of books with the machine itself. One of them (I think is the System Operation asa far as I remember) should be enough for basics. After that you can learn a lot from the AS/400 itself (use F1 and F4 a lot). Of course if you want high professional knowledge you will need some external trainings.

Good luck, and I hope you will enjoy it soon !

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by fbocchino In reply to Need AS400 instructional ...

About 10 years ago I was told to learn the AS400 or be out of a job. I didn't use IBM for training initially, but used other training packages. ATS seemed best. The AS400 is the easiest system to learn and you can manage it properly in no time atall. Good luck w/it and email me anytime if you've got questions, etc.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)