Question

Need guide w/Pix replace CMOS battery Compaq pp2140

By rws_99 ·
Hey guys, I have searched the topic but no relief yet. Does anybody have anything for me? Would like a guide with Pix if possible. Have experience building PCs but no experience tearing into a laptop. For example, where is the CMOS battery located on this model and what parts do I have to remove to get to it? And any tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated. Big Thanks! Royce

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

I can't find your reference model online ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to Need guide w/Pix replace ...

Are you certain it is PP2140?

What is its FULL name?

Collapse -

Thanks for reply. Here is FULL name from underneath

by rws_99 In reply to I can't find your referen ...

the laptop. First off, it is a 2005 Compaq laptop. "Series PP2140". It has a silver case. Further information on the underside of case: "Model 1456 VQLIT" and "P900 USA 147X530 WC 25E US" Taiwan.

Found this on HP's site but not sure it is the right manual. Picture does not look right. And no reference in manual to "CMOS" or replacement of: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=1105596&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&submit.y=8&submit.x=8&lang=en&cc=us

Please let me know if you find anything.

Royce

Collapse -

If your Details are correct it is on

by OH Smeg In reply to Thanks for reply. Here is ...
Collapse -

Thanks! Great detective work, but that is not my model

by rws_99 In reply to If your Details are corre ...

Col,
Thanks for all your effort. That is a later model than the one I have. For example, it has a built in wireless and mine does not. Illustrations were very good though. Surely the HP site has this but I just have to ferret it out. I could send you a picture if you still want to help find it. Thanks, Royce

Collapse -

Here is the manual but no disassembly instr. It is a 900!

by rws_99 In reply to If your Details are corre ...

Col,

Info underneath was correct but misleading. It is a Compaq Presario 900 US. Here is link to the standard manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01132182.pdf

That is it. But no instructions to disassemble. If you spot anything here i'm missing, please send me a link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?product=95668&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

Thanks again, Royce

Collapse -

OK HP do not have a service Manual for this computer

by OH Smeg In reply to Need guide w/Pix replace ...

If it actually has a RTC Battery it will be under a cover on the bottom of the unit.

But many Modern NB's Do Not use RTC Batteries now as they have what is called Smart Socket Technology where a Smart Socket of some kind is employed to power the RTC and BIOS Settings. This is a Rechargeable type Integrated Circuit that either lives in a IC Socket or it can be incorporated on the M'Board in a Surface Mount Package. If this device has Smart Socket Technology all you need do is connect tot he mains power and leave turned off with the Power turned on for 24 hours to recharge the Smart Socket. If this doesn't work the M'Board needs replacing.

Col

Collapse -

Thanks, I will look at all possible places for RTC battery

by rws_99 In reply to OK HP do not have a servi ...

Hi Col,

I'm out of town for few days but will check this news out om my return. Thanks for the further input. Thanks for all your attention and good work on this!

When I made the original post, the computer had been in storage for a year so when I turned it on the clock was wrong. I assumed it was a dead CMOS battery. Did not know about the Smart Socket Technology. I will test for it.

Royce

Collapse -

CMOS battery Compaq pp2140. (2100 series)..

Go here:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=HP+Compaq+laptop+PP2140+service+manual&btnG=Search

And then download this (it is in PDF format.
This does include your computer because it is the 2100 series, so even if your model is "2140", this will be under the "2100" series:

"""[PDF]
Service Manual
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
Service Manual. Figure 1-3. Bottom View. HP Pavilion ze4x00, HP Compaq nx9005 and nx9000,. Compaq Evo Notebook N1050v and N1010v,. and Compaq Presario 2100 ...
h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00246219.pdf - Similar pages"""

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.
If this information is useful, please mark as helpful. Thanks.

Collapse -

Very nice of you - Thanks!

by rws_99 In reply to CMOS battery Compaq pp214 ...

Out of town for 2 days. Will post back on return.

Collapse -

No problem.

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.

Back to Tips and Tricks Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)