Question

Need help with downloading & opening docs with Microsoft Word Student 2010?

By asha.flora ·
Hi,

Basically I bought my laptop a year ago & with it I got the Microsoft Office Student 2010 1 PC package. Unfortunately the software didn't come with a CD but rather a network key!
For months now, when I have downloaded both a Word & Powerpoint from the internet I haven't been able to open it straight away once downloaded. Instead I had to open up the programme (Word/Ppt) & open the file in question from the downloads file location. However, within the last few days for some reason Word now refuses to let me open the downloaded file in this way & comes up with several error messages which I have listed below:

1) 'The file Normal.dotm cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents'. (Here I have been clicking Ok as there are no further details provided in the expandable menu)
2) Word opens but then a further message appears:
Word cannot open the existing file. (Normal)
Once again, OK has to be clicked here in order for the pop-up window to disappear, the other option is 'Help'.
3) When I go to open a downloaded file from the downloads file, the message reads:
'Word has insufficient memory. Do you want to save Document 1 as Rescued document 2?'

I hope this is enough information!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

few things

by markp24 In reply to Need help with downloadin ...

Check your system for malware/viruses using malware bytes, and an antivirus scan from safe mode.
you can download TRK and or UBCD4WIN and user those as well (there bootable cd images)

also check the system for bad ram, and bad hard disk sectors. (use ubcd for that, yet another iso download)

after that , i would also check the association with the DOC extension is set to pen word.

Collapse -

Delete Normal.dotm

by Kenone In reply to Need help with downloadin ...

Office will create a new one. Check file associations for both .doc and docx files, make sure they point to MSWord.

Back to Hardware Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)