Question

Need help with memory configuration for MSI_661FM3-V mainboard

By Dempsey ·
What do you think?
These are the specs concerning main memory for the msi_661fm3-v main board. The first is from MSI website and the second from the manual.
In the first section it states the MB supports up to 2GB memory. But in the second section it states that it Supports 128Mb, 256Mb or 512Mb DDR technologies. I understand this to mean that the MB will only accept up 512Mb memory sticks. If that is true then how can it support up to 2GB memory size? According to their information I purchased 2 sticks each of 1Gb memory that are PC3200 and 400mhz FSB. The problem is that they are only registering as a combined total of 1Gb memory when I installed them. I have played with all the configurations and made sure my bios is the most recent but haven't been able to find any way to get them to register as 2Gb as they should. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this topic and maybe someone can help me resolve this issue. Thanks, Dempsey

Main Memory

? Supports two memory banks using two 184-pin unbuffered DDR DIMM.
? Supports up to 2GB memory size without ECC.
? Supports DDR266/333/400.

Main Memory
l Supports 64-bit wide DDR
l Available bandwidth up to 3.2GB/s (DDR 400)
l Supports 128Mb, 256Mb or 512Mb DDR technologies
FYI: I have an Intel Celeron D 3.2G 533FSB processor

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

opinion....

by ---TK--- In reply to Need help with memory con ...

You already know your answer, "In the first section it states the MB supports up to 2GB memory. But in the second section it states that it Supports 128Mb, 256Mb or 512Mb DDR technologies". Its kinda like Active directory, your most restrictive setting will over ride any security setting... no matter at what level the setting are at.

You could look for a firmware or a BIOS update, which might fix the issue... You could also look in the BIOS there might be an option that you need to mess with, or sometimes they do "funny" stuff with onboard jumpers, you might want to check all your jumpers and refer to the manual for the correct settings... Other than that, your stuck with 512 in each bank...

Collapse -

I think you should read the entire Web Sites Listing

by OH Smeg In reply to Need help with memory con ...

Main Memory
? Supports two memory banks using two 184-pin unbuffered DDR266/333/400 DIMM.

? Supports up to 2GB memory size without ECC.
Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability.

Example: Kingston HyperX DDR500 PC4000 operates at 2.65V, 3-4-4-8, CL=3.
For more information about specification of high performance memory modules, please check with your Memory Manufactures for more details.

This M'Board will accept up to 2 X 1 GIG RAM Sticks but there is a Proviso in place you need to buy supported RAM. On the same Web Page they have Links to the Memory Makers you should click on one of these and buy the RAM that is listed. Not what you can get cheapest.

Col

Back to Hardware Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)