General discussion

Need SM Bus Controller Optiplex GX270

By timbuk2 ·
I've downloaded all the drivers from Dell and installed them as instructed, but when I plug in my Ethernet Cable, Reboot, I'm prompted to install SM Bus Controller and a Multimedia Audio Controller (No Driver present) Shouldn't these drivers be somewhere on my system with Windows XP Pro?
I can't connect to the Internet to run SP2 or SP3 to find out if that would resolve my problem.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Well according to the Dell Web Site

by OH Smeg In reply to Need SM Bus Controller Op ...

There are 3 possible Drivers for the audio and 7 for the LAN.

Out of the 3 Possible Drivers as these are Creative Sound Blaster Live Drivers you shouldn't need any drivers as the Windows Install Disc should support this device.

As for the Ethernet these 2 Gigabit Drivers listed are both Intel Drivers and these two should be with most versions of XP so what is being shown in the Device Manager here for these items? Though if you are using the original version of XP the Ethernet Drivers may not be present.

You need to open the Device Manager by left clicking on Start, and then right clicking on My Computer and left clicking on Proprieties from the drop down menu, then left click on the Hardware Tab in the Next Window that opens and then left click on Device Manager.

And devices without installed Drivers will be listed with a Yellow Triangle and a Black ! through it.

It's much more likely that the devices not working have got their Resources messed up and you may need to manually configure these. To do this right click on the nonworking device and left click on Proprieties, in the Drop Down Menu, in the next window to open left click on the Resources Tab and then left click on the box beside Use Automatic Settings. You will then be able to set the IRQ and DMA as required.

It may not be possible to do this will all of the present devices not working so do one at a time and reboot then recheck the Device Manager. If you chose one device that you can not manually configure go to another one and try that.

Col

Collapse -

One out of two ain't bad

by timbuk2 In reply to Well according to the Del ...

After the 6th guess, I was able to install the audio, but gave up on the Ethernet. I tried 8 different drivers and it didn't like any of them. This is a Windows XP Pro SP 1 installation and I downloaded and installed all the drivers from Dell. According to the stats, I needed a driver for a Linksys LNE100TX V4, which I downloaded and all I could find was 18 folders full of stuff for Linux, DOS, W95 and Windows 98, nothing for XP. They Ethernet was supposedly integrated into the Motherboard and I had spent way to much time on it, so I'm buying an Ethernet card and installing it. I inherited about 10 old Dell's from an oil company network and they seem like really decent machines...except for a few quirks like this one. Installed a new Hard Drive, already had 1GB RAM so a small investment wasn't too bad a deal...
Thanks for your help though...
Tim

Collapse -

Your Welcome EOM

by OH Smeg In reply to One out of two ain't bad
Collapse -

sm bus controller OptiPlex GX270

by jwichman In reply to Need SM Bus Controller Op ...

Did you ever get the 'sm bus controller' driver installed? I have the same issue.

Thanks

Collapse -

sm bus controller

by timbuk2 In reply to sm bus controller OptiPle ...

No. It only happens when I attempt to install a driver for the Ethernet card. I'm going to get a different Ethernet card and try it that way. Others have told me they resolved their issue in that manner. Mine was integrated into the OS and created issues.

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)