General discussion

Need space on exchange server 2000

By fmorilla ·
I need to free some space on my Exchange server 2000. I have unnecesary files, and undelete mail.
On my mdbdata directory I have over 1700 files of 5 meg each. Can some one tell me what is all this files ??

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by d.walker5 In reply to Need space on exchange se ...

See KB Q236196. I not sure this is what you're asking, but it may help?

Collapse -

by fmorilla In reply to Need space on exchange se ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by TPCCPT In reply to Need space on exchange se ...

Those aren't your log files are they? (Look like little text messages) If so you should be backing up your Exchange Server by using a backup program (backup exec) for example and using the Exchange backup option so that it flushes out the Log Filesafter a full backup.

For God's sake don't delete them. 5 Megs each is the size of the Exchange Log Files. Run a backup using a backup program and select the information store and there should be an option to flush all commited logs.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to Need space on exchange se ...

These are the Exchange Transaction log files and are an integral part of the fault tolerance capabilities of Exchange.

Exchange retains ALL old log files unless one of two things happens:

1. You enable Circular Logging, which causes Exchange to use and reuse a small number of log files (usually 4 or 5).
2. You conduct an online Normal (Full) or Incremental backup.

DANGER: You should not manually delete these files as this will destroy your ability to conduct an sort of recovery of you message store.

DANGER: You should not enable Circular Logging unless these three conditions can be met:
1. You conduct a Normal (Full) backup EVERY night.
2. You have no need for Incremental or Differential backups (yo don't if you are conducting nightly full backups).
3. Log files and message stores are located on the same hard drive.

CAUTION: In order to successfully conduct an online backup, you MUST use a backup program that is Exchange-aware. Otherwise, files in use (and the databases are ALWAYS in use) will not be backed up).

Collapse -

Collapse -

by samlivermore In reply to Need space on exchange se ...

Veritas Backup Exec Agent for Exchange 2000 will perform a FULL backup of all the pertinent files that Exchange needs for a restore. If you are just using the Veritas Backup for Windows 2000 Server, then you will have to restore the entire Windows 200o Server, not just the exchange files if something catastrophic occurs to your server. Purchaing the Exchange 2000 agent will greatly improve your E-mail backup options.

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Networks Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)