Question

.NET 2008 deployment kit

By dbrunelle ·
I am trying to make a deployment kit for my project in VB.NET 2008 and everything seems to work ok, but when I upgrade my version, the setup kit does not overwrite my prevous installation. I checked and everything seems to be ok in my configuration ( I have RemovePreviousVersion set to true and DetectNewerInstallation to true)
Is this a known issue with .NET 2008, because I never had that problem with .2005 and I have this problem with every .2008 project I made.

Thank you

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

RemovePreviousVersion

by jgarcia102066 In reply to .NET 2008 deployment kit

You need to change the Version property of your setup project. You will be prompted to change the ProductCode. Select 'Yes'.

Rebuilt your setup project and take the resulting setup and msi files and try your installation, again. It should work.

Collapse -

Still not working...

by dbrunelle In reply to RemovePreviousVersion

I am already doing this. When I change version, I upgrade my version number AND changer the product code (it ask me this everytime). I even tried to change it manually. Should I uninstall the software with the same setup kit that doesn't seem to do anything, it deletes it ok and when I reinstall it, now it works. It's as if the registry changes are made but it never gets to the file copying part.

I used to do this with .2005 and never even got that problem. Now I just can't seem to make it work with .2008. Is it possible that my version has a bug or what?

Collapse -

At a loss.

by jgarcia102066 In reply to Still not working...

When I encountered this problem, changing the version number of the installation package did the trick. I'd be hard-pressed to figure out what you may be experiencing because I cannot reproduce the problem in my environment.

I'm assuming you did this already but just to cover the bases:

- You picked up the correct setup/msi file from the correct bin folder (debug or release).
- You have the primary output in the application folder of the installation project.
- The installed version of the application that you are trying to upgrade was installed with VS 2008. (There may be a problem with different versions).
- You are rebuilding the solution, then rebuilding the installation project to make sure everything is up to date.

If you are doing/have done the things I've listed, then I don't know what else I might suggest.

Collapse -

VS version?

by dbrunelle In reply to At a loss.

I figured that might be a known issue with a specific version of Visual Studio 2008, but I got the latest service pack installed and it still doens't work.

Anyway, I'll try to find out what's wrong some other time.

Back to Software Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)