General discussion

Netgear NAS SC101T -- Good/Bad

By The Scummy One ·
Ok, just to start, I was at Fry's picking up a mothers day gift. While there, I was looking at some NAS devices, because I am always needing more storage, and I wouldnt mind mirroring some data. I am not too worried about the backup SW, because I run manual backups.

Anyway, I ran into this Netgear unit on sale for $99 with no HDD's. Since I have a 500GB seagate barracuda SATA drive unopened at home, I decided to pick it up

So, I get home and setup the device -- all is good so far. Following the instructions (that I rarely do) I start installing the setup SW.
check for updates -- OK
Error -- SC101T cannot finish installation until the Promise ftsata2 drivers are removed. Please look in the release notes for instructions.

I spent 30 minutes online trying to find the release notes because the only documentation on the disk is for a SC101 for IDE based storage. Looking through each document failed to mention this error. Searching NetGear failed to find anything except an error for a BSOD or Hang. So far, not impressed.

So, here is NetGears solution for this which does address the driver
Cause -- SCSI disk drivers from Promise company conflict with the SC101/SC101T device drivers. Promise drivers are typically used for RAID 1 or for SATA drives. Many newer computers use Promise SATA drivers.

Solution disable the Promise drivers. It does make note that if you dont use RAID or use IDE drives it can be safely disabled. It does not mention that if you are using SATA drives, not to do this? It also makes no mention of not being able to (in the future) use SATA disks in your computer. Luckily, I know better, however, I am now even less impressed.

Ok, then if many newer computers use this driver, and Netgear cannot get theirs to work with it, why not fix the problem before putting it out for use? Will this not just turn into a large amount of returns?

And Why do the drivers conflict since it goes over the network to access the data? Cant they figure out how to make it work? I can plug drives in through USB just fine, I can access network shares just fine.

So, I guess if you use SATA or RAID -- Stay away from this product.
Oh, and in my browsing around, there are several HDD's listed as incompatible -- however the list was last updated in '06 (even less impressed).

Be warned

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Sometimes

by boxfiddler Moderator In reply to Netgear NAS SC101T -- Goo ...

I'm happy to be a noob that wouldn't even think of playing in NAS.

Collapse -

But the box states

by The Scummy One In reply to Sometimes

Easy as 1-2-3
1 -- connect the unit
2 -- install HDD
3 -- install SW

Collapse -

I wonder, would this be considered

by jdclyde In reply to Netgear NAS SC101T -- Goo ...

ANTI-SPAM? :0

Collapse -

:^0 -- LOL

by The Scummy One In reply to I wonder, would this be c ...

I guess so
When I find products which I think excel I have no problem sharing/telling about it. When I try products that I think suck -- I also share the info.

Inthis case, I think Netgear needs to revamp their product, or get out of NAS.

Collapse -

That is the problem I just had with a HP ML110

by jdclyde In reply to :^0 -- LOL

friggen piece of crap.

The easy-setup cd that came with it was not compatible with the raid controller that comes in it. (in case you missed my AAAAAAAAAAAAA discussion)

I have wasted enough time that it would have been cheaper to have gone with the IBM server in the first place. HP has lost my business for servers.

Collapse -

There is so much cr@p HW out there these days

by The Scummy One In reply to That is the problem I jus ...

and most pull a premium. Often the lower to middle priced stuff is better than the higher priced shlt anymore.

Collapse -

what makes netgear cr@p HW

by alabasterdragon In reply to There is so much cr@p HW ...

One thing that further makes Netgear's NAS crapware is the TOTAL lack of 64-Bit support. Netgear thus far refuse to acknowledge the growing 64-Bit OS market. None of their hardware that requires you to use their software to get it to function will work on a 64-Bit system. Netgear claims that the market for 64-Bit is very low, and there are not enough customers using it to justify them increasing cost of products to pay for the R&amp for 64-Bit drivers. Netgear used to be pretty good, but they are starting to compete with the cheap "you guess that mess" hardware that has little or no useful support.

Collapse -

Hence the $99

by The 'G-Man.' In reply to Netgear NAS SC101T -- Goo ...
Back to Software Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)