General discussion

Netware 3.12 (Odd)

By bowdenk ·
Setting up Netware 3.12 I've run into the following problems..!

1. Can Netware 3.12 see disks greater than 2GB?

2. Setting it up on a 1GB IDE disk the following error arises when trying to mount volume sys - "The mirror copies of the FAT don'tmatch."

3. If someone can help me I can email a method of setting up 8-9 operating systems on the one computer...

Thank you.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Netware 3.12 (Odd)

by cybersailor In reply to Netware 3.12 (Odd)

no to number 1
number 2-you have file corruption-run a disk FAT repair utility-bindfix may do the job but more may be needed

Collapse -

Netware 3.12 (Odd)

by bowdenk In reply to Netware 3.12 (Odd)

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Netware 3.12 (Odd)

by gregc In reply to Netware 3.12 (Odd)

Netware 3.12 will recognize any size drive up to 32 terrabytes I believe. It sounds like you need to get the IDEATA.HAM and IDEHD.CDM driver and that will fix your issues. You need to download DSKDRV.EXE and those Drivers are under the Novell Subdirectory. You will also need the latest patches which are 312PTD.EXE and LIB312D.EXE both available from http://support.novell.com/misc/patlst.htm

The second question sounds like a problem with the drive, I would verify that the settings usedin BIOS are correct and that you have the very latest BIOS for the Motherboard and IDE controller. If all that looks OK then I would try the old FDISK/MBR trick and see if it fixes it. If that does not work I would fdisk it and start over.

The best program I have seen for #3 is System Commander, but I am sure there are others!!

Hope this helps!

Greg in Hotlanta

Collapse -

Netware 3.12 (Odd)

Collapse -

Netware 3.12 (Odd)

by rthomas In reply to Netware 3.12 (Odd)

I take it you're referring to the server side of Netware. It can definitely handle volumes larger than 2 GB. I've been running two 4 GB volumes on my server for two years now. I've been doing this with a Compaq Prosignia 500 server, duplexed, andit can take mounds more disk capacity. What kind of server hardware are you using?

Collapse -

Netware 3.12 (Odd)

Collapse -

Netware 3.12 (Odd)

by TTate In reply to Netware 3.12 (Odd)

#1 - Yes, NW 3.12 can see it, but your clients may not be able to. Don't be fooled by the size your clients report. You can go to the MONITOR screen on your server and the DISK Information and see what your server sees. Many older W95 and earlier clients cannot see past the 2gb limit that the FAT scheme has per partition.

#2 - Boot the server with SERVER -NA to not execute the AUTOEXEC.NCF. Then run VREPAIR from either the DOS partition or a floppy to repair the FAT errors.

#3 - No payment necessary.

Good luck and I hope your system is healthy soon.

Collapse -

Netware 3.12 (Odd)

Collapse -

Netware 3.12 (Odd)

by ajg In reply to Netware 3.12 (Odd)

1. We currently have clients using disks larger than 9GB on NW 3.12 servers. The server must have access to enough memory to load the FAT table. This revolves around how the memory is registered. Novell TID 1003164 deals with this. Basically what itamounts to is that the AUTOEXEC.NCF and STARTUP.NCF must be executed from the DOS partition and the memory must be registered before any other drivers. The TID found at http://support.novell.support details how to
do this.
2. The second problem may relate to the memory issue also. There may not be enough memory available for the secon FAT table.

Collapse -

Netware 3.12 (Odd)

Back to Networks Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next