General discussion

Netware 3.21 Client, Netware 5 and IP

By chris.williams ·
Our network currently runs Netware 5 servers and IP and IPX is allowed on most subnets at present. Recently additional subnets have been added which are IP only. Win98 PC's on these subnets currently run Netware Client V3.21. They do not display aNetware login prompt unless the Preferred Server is set in the Client Properties and the server name is in our DNS tables (if not part of DNS then the IP address of the server needs to be used). The routers are multicast enabled and a sniffer indicates that the multicast packets are sent on booting the PC's but no replies come back. Have tested an IP only PC on a subnet with a Netware 5 server and a login prompt appears on bootup, but if the login has to go across to a different subnet then the prompt is not displayed unless preferred server is set. Is this normal? I was under the impression that when NDS came in Preferred server was reduntant after Netware 3 and Preferred Tree was the option to use. I suspect its a routing problem butam open to suggestions

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by acurrin In reply to Netware 3.21 Client, Netw ...

I haven't had to troubleshoot this problem as deeply as this, but I would review the service location protocol configuration options under NetWare 5. The preferred server is not required, but the machine does need to be able to locate the tree before a server within the tree can respond.

Good luck

Collapse -

by chris.williams In reply to Netware 3.21 Client, Netw ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by sleeper In reply to Netware 3.21 Client, Netw ...

When you say the question is answered, what was the cause and how did you get it solved?
Thanks for replying.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by emcgrat In reply to Netware 3.21 Client, Netw ...

RIP being IPX and not being routed I beleive you need a Directort Agent running on a 5 server. Point your PC's to this DA via your client, Service Location tab.

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Networks Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)