General discussion

Netware 4.11 Remover servers from tree

By morrisjs ·
I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way to remove servers from NDS tree and move them over to a new tree. I have a Netware 5.1 server configured as the master. All my other servers are Netware 4.11. Should I make the master a netware 4.11 server? I'm have been going through all my options can't figure the bast way of doing this.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by trottier In reply to Netware 4.11 Remover serv ...

If possible remove the replicas from the server you are going to remove. If there are no replicas then all you have to do is remove NDS from the server and then re-install NDS onto the server in the other tree.

If you are removing the master then be very careful that you have the same version of NDS on all the servers before attempting to remove a computer from the tree.

The must be a document that covers this question in more detail on the Novell website. http://support.novell.com

Their knowledgebase has helped me alot with these types of questions.

Collapse -

by morrisjs In reply to Netware 4.11 Remover serv ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by JimBb In reply to Netware 4.11 Remover serv ...

There is no specific reason for having one or another verion as a master server. The only thing you should be careful of is having similar DS.NLM versions for similar NW versions - you can use NDSMGD32.EXE to verify this.
To remove a 4.11 server from a tree, use INSTALL.NLM, Directory Options, Remove NDS. That way the server object and the references to that server, including replicas, are nicely removed.
However, you should first (while the server is still accessible via NDS) remove the volume-objects, and you should check that other objects don't reference to a directory or so on that server. Groupwise for example, may have its postoffice or domain on server/volume:somewhere, and those kinds of references are not removed, that you need to do manually.
Once you removed the server, check the NDS replication. In DSREPAIR on all other server you may have to "check external references" or "repair all network addresses" to make sure every server is aware that the one you removed isreally gone.
By the way, people often forget to check their time-synchronisation when removing a server. If it is a "secondary", there is nothing to do, but in any other case you may need to make another one Primary, Reference ir Single, dependingon what this one was.

Jim

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Desktop Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)